Half-Life OpenGL problems

all my other games work fine but half - life on open - Gl the models look white’ed out everytiung that can move has no texture…

nvidia better come up with some half-life patch or something becuase this is a bitch.

Well, i found a really strange thing, but i can confirm that openGL problems only started when using WinXP [maybe it’s the WinXP Detonators?]
Anyway, here it goes:

• Set the Res to 640
  • Run HL, and let it display the error
  • Use the 3dFX mini driver on res 640
  • Run HL, and let it display the error
  • Set the res to 800, and the other option to default driver
  • Run HL, and be amazed

Now HL should be running normal, but don’t you dare to touch the settings again, don’t you even dare to reboot, cuz it will crash again, for sure…

Another good suggestion is - as mentioned before - don’t install those 4x.xx drivers!
try the 3x.xx and all should be solved for as far as you got an Nvidia card…

I have fixed all my Half-Life problems, though they may not work for you. I recently e-mailed ATI about my problem, and they offered tons of solutions. I went down the list, and did everything asked. I found the only thing that worked were some BIOS settings they suggested. Those without ATI cards, try the same thing, it may take a few days for a response, but you might be suprised by the help you get.

Here’s a list of the BIOS settings they told me to check, and set if necessary.

NOTE: These options may vary depending on the type/version of your system. You may or may not have all these options. Please consider changing the settings that correspond to those listed below.

• Video BIOS Shadow and Video BIOS Cacheable - DISABLED
  • C8000-CBFFFF Shadow and CC000-CFFFF - DISABLED
  • AGP Aperture size - 64 MB
  • AGP Turbo - DISABLED
  • VGA Frame Buffer and Primary Frame Buffer - DISABLED
  • PnP OS installed - YES
  • Assign IRQ for VGA - ENABLED
  • Resource Control - AUTO
  • AGP Bus Mastering - ENABLED
  • VGA Palette Snooping - DISABLED
  • Disable any UCSW or Write Combine options in the CMOS
  • Disable any manual configuration of PCI by setting these options to AUTO
  • System Bios Cacheable - DISABLED
  • Video BIOS Mode Cache - UC
  • Try lowering the AGP support (i.e. from AGP 8X/4X to AGP 2X).

A second e-mail I received also suggested these changes.

• Please update the bios for your system. The bios would be available from the motherboard manufacturers website.
  • Install the latest Motherboard chipset drivers. The chipset drivers are available from the motherboard manufacturers website.
  • Enter your Motherboard BIOS at boot and ensure that it is configured as follows:
  • INITIAL DISPLAY must be set to AGP.
  • Assign IRQ to VGA should be set to Enabled.
  • AGP Aperture should be set to 64MB. (From 32 to 512 MB of memory)
  • Ensure that you have no cards in the TOP PCI slot. (This is the PCI slot next to the AGP slot). Always leave this slot empty as it shares resources with the AGP slot.

I cant open the console on half life anymore someone please tell me how to fix it

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Requiem:
[b]I have fixed all my Half-Life problems…

requim could u please tell me how to get to these BIOS settings? thank you…

someone PLZ tell me where i can get drivers for opengl

hehe… First I formatted my C: and my xp(newest detonator), then I used win2k,same problem with cs&opengl, then I installed winME ,it worked, but ME sucks, so i installed winXP again, and suddendly it worked!!! Then I installed basic driver that came with my videocard (geforce4 mx440) and Powerstrip. First time when in started pwrstrip hotkeys didn’t work, and after my computer was up 2days, hotkeys started to work and then I face it—>“the selected opengl mode is not supported by your videocard”.****,so I uninstalled pwrstrip and then cs worked again!!! funny

Originally posted by laemir:
someone PLZ tell me where i can get drivers for opengl

From your video card manufacturer or the 3d chip set manufacturer. The chip set manufacturer usually writes the OpenGL drivers, the card manufacturer maybe makes some minor modifications. For a wider selection of drivers than are offered by the manufacturers, search the web. For example, http://download.guru3d.com/ has tons of drivers for the top 3d chip sets.

My Card is matrox something milenium 200 something

well i had just the same problem as you had

butt there is hope they say
i fixed the prob. with openGL that it didnt support the graphic card

it couse off the ****ing XP UPDATES (the hotfix!!!)

you just need to do A SYSTEM RESTORE
(to the day that your HL still was working)

sow…start/accessories/SYSTEM TOOLS/SYSTEM RESTORE/…you will see

after the changes it will automaticly restard your comp to the configurations of the date you chose.

WHEN YOUR COMP HAS RESTARTED!!!

PLAY COUNTER-STRIKE

You can get into your BIOS different ways, depending on what brand it is. The most common way is to hit the Delete key right when you turn your computer on. If you find this doesn’t work, go to your computer manufacturer’s website and look it up, they’ll have it in there somewhere.

An update though on my post, it’s stopped working again! I’ve noticed that many people have posted about how “fixes work one day, not the next”, this has been true so many times for me. Every time I change settings, my system works perfectly for a few days, then suddenly it’s the same it was before, and I have to put everything back to the way it was before the change to make it work normal. I just don’t get it!

Originally posted by Requiem:
[b]I found for ONE DAY, that refresh rate change fixed all my problems.

I’ve noticed the amount of people with an nvidea card having this problem. I’m using an ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon. My problem is an interesting one. I find that with the default microsoft installed drivers, I have no OpenGL support, but can play DirectX games with no trouble. Funny thing though, when I install new drivers, I have OpenGL support, but if I play in any other resolution than my desktop, my monitor makes a loud whistling sound, and DirectX games completely freeze my machine minutes into the game!

Now I noticed someone mentioned using older drivers, and I’m starting to go down the line of older drivers at ATI’s site. Anyone with an ATI card try this? I’d like some ideas as to which drivers have the best results.[/b]

Im very dissapointed.Last monday ive purchased a Sapphire ati radeon 7000 64mb and DVD-rom. installation didn’t get problems and runs fine in my Amdk6 400mhz, under winXP BUT when i try my favourite game: Counterstrike, im only had 15fps!(!?!,why!its 65mb VC!) in openGL640x480(as you do, im was able too).Later install Catalyst drivers from ATI expecting improve performance or such thing and it only do things get worst.Later when i was trying to run CS just didnt start.

I understand ur guys pain. However i am receiving the driver compnent sizes mis-match error when i try to play CS… is there a fix for this yet that i maybe missed if there is anything please e-mail me chiments@hotmail.com or im me on aol DJChiments PLEASE!!?!?!?!!?!?!

thanks

I too am an open GL hater. I have an old laptop by dell that uses ATI RAGE mobility-P driver. I love CS and i need opengl. I have read everyones comments and no one has a fix. Maybe someone can help me. I know that my driver supports opengl because i have the opengl32.dll, and other opengl dlls. I cant figure out why i cant get opengl to work. Ive done everything that i can think of. please email me if someone can help me fix this.

Thanx,
Shponz

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Requiem:
[b]I have fixed all my Half-Life problems, though they may not work for you. I recently e-mailed ATI about my problem, and they offered tons of solutions.

Requiem, I was wonder if you could tell me what the Email address of ATI is? Because i tried what you said in my bios setup and i didnt have any of the options you listed. So maybe they have different ones for my laptop. Thanx

Well i got OpenGL finally to work, but now when I play CS my Fps is at like 6. I tried everything in the cs consle, tried messing with the resolution, and other settings in the control panel, but nothing seems to make it any faster. Does anyone have any ideas of how to raise my fps??? Please help im so close.

Thanx

i dunno dude, try disableing vertical sync…that might help…

I still havent fixed mine yet. this damn error is pissing me off… " the selected opengl mode is not support4ed by ur video card" (

this error is caused on my computer when mirc is running with certain scripts (like my own script too). i think this could be the problem because everyone gets this error with different hardware and has different solutions for it but none of them seem to help. maybe it would help if all of u ppl here could try to turn any mirc of and then post if it works. for all my friends which have the error this was the solution.
the last script version of my script (1.4 Beta) worked fine and now the new version (1.4 full) causes this error for everyone who has it running while starting some game with opengl. i tried like thousand times to get it working with and without mirc running.
it doesn’t work WITH mirc and it works WITHOUT. rebooting sometimes helps to get it running even when irc is running.
i’m just stating what i know here but i think i’m close to some solution.
something more i found out:
i’m usually in all 20 channels that mirc allows to be in and opengl does not work. but when i join only 3 channels it works. so another solution could just be that mirc uses too much cpu-power ? when i am in 4 channels it works for about 50% of my tries and when i am in 5 it doesn’t work anymore.
but in my older version of the script it even works when i am in 20 channels and with gIRC too. standard mirc without scripts also works fine.
i am currently comparing my 2 versions of the script and trying to find out exactly what command is causing this error - at least i’m sure for now the error is NOT in the options cause both of my irc versions use exactly the same options so it has to be somewhere within the script.
when ppl now state they don’t have irc and still have the problem then i think the only solution is in the cpu-cycles so try to disable and close EVERYTHING that is currently running and start an opengl game again to see if it works.
well i’m sry for my bad english but i hope this information is still of some help for you.
when i find out something more i’ll come back and post it here.

XOR…i dont have Mirc, at least i dont think i do. so i dont think thats a solution for me…but it sounds like u may be on to something…

hmm it seems that for some reason u need 100% cpu-capacity to initialize opengl.
when i FIRST start cs and then irc it works but opengl has to be initialized first.
what applications run when u start a game with opengl and what cpu u have ? i have an athlon xp 2200+ (overclocked from 1,8 to 1,9 GHz) and a geforce 4 ti 4200. so on the one hand it doesn’t look if there is a problem with cpu-cycles but on the other ? how could irc use all this cpu-power ? and also the task manager shows 0% cpu-usage while irc is running.
so maybe it’s more interesting to look at other resources that are much used by certain applications. too much handles ? threads ? RAM ? try to strip down ur windows to the very basic system (deactivating especially things like virus protections that run in the tray all the time or firewalls and all programs and services that usually run in the background). and then try running the game - does it work ? maybe this information could be useful to me to determine wether the error is caused by too much used resources or just some special functions that are in many programs.
to sum up things - my current theory consists of the following thoughts:

• some of the resources (processes, handles, threads, RAM, etc…) are not enough for opengl
  • a special function in the windows api that blocks opengl for some reason is used by many programs (like mirc) or the programs u ppl use (could be a different one for everyone of u, assuming it is really an often used api-function)

i will now start comparing my 2 irc-versions and i hope to find out which one of the changes i made causes the problem. i hope this can tell me something more even when u don’t use irc…