Half-Life OpenGL problems

P.S DON’T FORGET TO DONWLOAD THE FIX PROGRAM FOR THE REFRESH RATE PROBLEM

umm when i try to install that refresh rate fix my computer freezes everytime when its installing? any suggestions. PS i am also getting that error about my card not supporting opengl all of a sudden wtf? i have a G4 64mb mx440… any suggestions, keep the replys coming guys we all need help with this… thanks

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=winxp-2k_archive
Go to the very last 2. download the bottom one and install. Do not freak out when the Windows Icon message comes up. install it no matter what. Restart computer.
Go back and download the second driver from the bottom. Repeat all the above steps.
Than download the LATEST drivers.
(THIS IS FOR NVIDIA GEFORCE CARDS ON XP/2000

[This message has been edited by Bracholi (edited 02-26-2003).]

Will this work for win98??

if ne1 has AIM or icq and knows what to do lemme know cuz i need lots of help fixing this… AIM=Titleist026 and ICQ=165747523 thanks alot…

Umm for Win98 try ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/softlib/mslfiles/opengl95.exe

And hope there is. cough I can’t believe it cough it works cough too good to be true? Am very gespannt for how long.
[2003/02/27, 22:30 CET: It still works, after several reboots. ]
[2003/03/07: Darn, I knew it, it is too good to be true. OpenGL does work, yes. And It turned out that installing the 23.11 driver does reproducably make OpenGL work. However. With 23.11 installed, video overlay, whether it be in a DVD player or the MS media player or Irfanview, does not work. Installed a 4x.xx driver instead -> video overlay works, OpenGL does not. Back to 23.11 -> the other way around. banging my head on the desk At least this tolerable (2 points out of 5 ;-), as DVD does work stably under W98SE (as opposed to many games, which usually hang when I try to Alt-Tab out of them, which they don’t under Win2k). So we can work and play under W2k and watch movies under W98. ]
[2003/03/13: Yet another update: Two days ago, I got both OpenGL and overlay (video) to work by installing the 26.53 (or was it 26.25? forgot.) It still works. Before that, I tried 29.x and 27.30, with no OpenGL, but with overlay working, then started going “up” from 23.11 over 23.12 (both with OpenGL but no video working) to 26.x, which finally gave what I wanted. Let’s see which is the at-first-unnoticed flaw with this one… ]

Here is what I did last night. It worked only after the final step. Whether the intermediate steps were needed or which ones I do not know (yet, I hope).

The starting situation was 42.30, installed via its setup.exe and rebooted right after the installation (as I always did so far). OpenGL apps simply terminated without any message or console window left to tell the sad tale.

Reinstalling and uninstalling/installing the monitor drivers did not help at all at this point.

Since for some reason, the FAKK2 Demo right after its installation did live to show its console and displayed “Mode not found” or some such, I tried the RivaTuner refresh rate fix again. This went afoul, as after the next reboot, my display mode selection was severly limited (800x600x16colors max.). To fix this, I told RivaTuner to reset all driver settings to their defaults – still limited.

So reinstalled 42.30, then not rebooting. No success. Reboot, still no change, and still limited display modes.

So I uninstalled the nVidia driver (via “Add/Remove Software” control panel). The display modes were back and I changed the refresh rates of all modes to 60Hz (in the advanced display properties, monitor tab).

Next I installed 23.11 via its setup.exe. [22:30: Wrong, I simply ran the exe that the driver comes in. It is some kind of install shield package. ] This went not as expected – the driver and card combo did not work in anything but VGA mode, before reboot and after.

Baffled, I went to “Display Properties”, “Driver”, “Update Driver” and told the wizard (“Specify a location”) from where to get the files (for this step I had unpacked them using WinZip from the driver .exe, which seems to be a self-extracting zip archive [22:30: Nope, it’s an InstallShield package, WinZip can extract their contents, too]). [22:45: I forgot to mention an important bit: 23.11 does not directly support the MX440 (which I use). Windows does not find the MX440 in the driver .inf file and complains. To get to install the driver, I selected “Show all devices”, then “NVIDIA” as the manufacturer and “NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400” as the card. Since I don’t need the latest greatest OpenGL support from the newer Detonators, I am content with this (for now). ] After installation, OpenGL worked. Phew. To bed I went with this small success, as I did not want to experience it not working after reboot, as I feared it would.

This morning, I could not resist and booted – it is still working, all OpenGL apps. Didn’t have time though to reboot a second time (knocking on wood ;-). [Still works -]

It seems to me that at least for my system there may be two separate issues here.

The first one (which I’ll call the “mode issue”) manifests itself as “OpenGL mode not supported”, “No valid mode found” (which both lead to a final “Could not open OpenGL subsystem”) with game engines from Id, or “Error -2 – Fullscreen initialization failed” with OpenGL demos from steinware.dk.

The second one is that any OpenGL application terminates without a message (may be a crash).

For the mode issue, the error message indeed suggest that supported display modes, which may include refresh rates, have an influence.
I did not try yet to get it going with the current state and refresh rates above 60Hz.

TODO:

o Find out which of the changes made it work.
(Am I willing to fuss with my working system? Maybe after a few days of enjoying its working state ;-). [2003/03/07: Done, it’s the 23.11 driver for me. See note almost at the top. ]

o Post exact Quake3 engine error messages, find out what they mean. [22:30: There is a similar thread in this forum about RTCW: http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001736-2.html ] [22:45: I’ll put the console logs in my next posting… done. ]

o Find out how to fix them. This includes understanding how exactly the refresh rate fixes work and how to revert them (get 60Hz back).

o Understand why OpenGL programs sometimes terminate silently.

[This message has been edited by filo (edited 02-27-2003).]

[This message has been edited by filo (edited 02-27-2003).]

[This message has been edited by filo (edited 03-07-2003).]

[This message has been edited by filo (edited 03-13-2003).]

Interesting comments filo,

i have found that the lower i set my refreshrate, the longer i can go before getting errors. However i have had errors at every resolution down to 60Hz.

I have run many games at 640x480 and 800x600 res both at 100Hz, for long periods of time, with no problems, which is why im baffled that it should happen almost randomly.

Another thing, the errors first started around the time i upgraded my monitor. I upgraded from a Dell 17" generic one to a Dell 19" flatscreen P992, which if anything should make achieving high refreshrates easier, since i can run nearly every resolution above 100Hz.

I got my new PSU today, the 431W Enermax, so far ive noticed far better benchmark results, lower CPU temperatures, and my games are running in opengl. I dont know if they will still work after a reboot, but im hoping

ok i found a site with old nvidia drivers (apparently this is supposed to fix this damn error message in cs) but i got to extract them and nothing seems to happen. i tried extracting them into my nvidia folder, still nothing…what am i doing wrong?? any suggestions, oh and when i try that opengl95 thing…yeah my computer freezes everytime…

Originally posted by Axel Foley:
… got to extract them and nothing seems to happen. i tried extracting them into my nvidia folder, still nothing…what am i doing wrong?? …

Sounds as if you only extracted the files but did not install them. Extracting them is not enough, you’ll have to let windows “take possession” of them.

Go to Device Manager -> Display Adapters -> “Your Card” -> Properties -> Driver -> Update Driver… -> Next -> Search… -> Specify Location (uncheck the other boxes) -> then tell it where the files were extracted to -> OK -> maybe another OK -> you may have to manually select a card here -> Next -> Finish. This list may not be 100% exact, especially on Win 95 it will look significantly different, but you get the idea.

You may want to try to run the game before rebooting.

Originally posted by filo:
… The … “mode issue” manifests itself as “OpenGL mode not supported”, “No valid mode found” (which both lead to a final “Could not open OpenGL subsystem”) with game engines from Id, or “Error -2 – Fullscreen initialization failed” with OpenGL demos from steinware.dk.

… TODO: o Post exact Quake3 engine error messages, find out what they mean. [22:30: There is a similar thread in this forum about RTCW: http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001736-2.html ]

Here you go, the entire console logs for the Q3 and FAKK2 demos. Unfortunately I do not know how to get this log copied when the engine does start successfully, so cannot compare the good to the bad case directly.

===============================================================
Quake3 Demo console output (when it doesn’t immediately terminate):

Q3 1.11 win-x86 Nov 29 1999
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
c:\Programme\Q3Ademo/baseq3

Running in restricted demo mode.

----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
c:\Programme\Q3Ademo\demoq3\pak0.pk3 (1387 files)
c:\Programme\Q3Ademo/demoq3

execing default.cfg
execing q3config.cfg
couldn’t exec autoexec.cfg
…detecting CPU, found x86 (P5/Pentium2, MMX)

------- Input Initialization -------
Initializing DirectInput…
Couldn’t set DI coop level
Falling back to Win32 mouse support…
Joystick is not active.

----- Client Initialization -----
----- Initializing Renderer ----

----- Client Initialization Complete -----
— Common Initialization Complete —
Winsock Initialized
Opening IP socket: localhost:27960
Hostname: ada2k
IP: 127.0.0.1
Working directory: c:\Programme\Q3Ademo
----- R_Init -----
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
…initializing QGL
…calling LoadLibrary( ‘D:\WINNT\System32\opengl32.dll’ ): succeeded
…setting mode 2: 512 384 FS
…using colorsbits of 16
…calling CDS: failed, bad mode
…trying next higher resolution: failed, bad mode
…restoring display settings
…registered window class
…created window@3,22 (518x409)
Initializing OpenGL driver
…getting DC: succeeded
…GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
…35 PFDs found
…GLW_ChoosePFD failed
…GLW_ChoosePFD( 4, 16, 0 )
…35 PFDs found
…GLW_ChoosePFD failed
…failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
…WARNING: could not set the given mode (2)
…setting mode 2: 512 384 FS
…using colorsbits of 16
…created window@3,22 (518x409)
…35 PFDs found
…GLW_ChoosePFD failed
…35 PFDs found
…GLW_ChoosePFD failed
…WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
…shutting down QGL
…unloading OpenGL DLL
…assuming ‘3dfxvgl’ is a standalone driver
…initializing QGL
…WARNING: missing Glide installation, assuming no 3Dfx available
…shutting down QGL
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )

GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

FAKK2 Demo console output (when it doesn’t immediately terminate):

Heavy Metal: FAKK2 1.01 win-x86 Aug 11 2000
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
c:\Programme\Ritual Entertainment\Heavy Metal - FAKK2 Demo\fakk\pak0.pk3 (3158 files)
c:\Programme\Ritual Entertainment\Heavy Metal - FAKK2 Demo/fakk

Running in restricted demo mode.

----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
c:\Programme\Ritual Entertainment\Heavy Metal - FAKK2 Demo\fakk\pak0.pk3 (3158 files)
c:\Programme\Ritual Entertainment\Heavy Metal - FAKK2 Demo/fakk

Config: config.cfg
execing default.cfg
execing menu.cfg
execing localized.cfg
execing autoexec.cfg
…detecting CPU, found AMD w/ 3DNow!

------- Input Initialization -------
Initializing DirectInput…
Couldn’t set DI coop level
Falling back to Win32 mouse support…
Joystick is not active.

----- Client Initialization -----
----- Initializing Renderer ----
----- R_Init -----
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
…initializing QGL
…calling LoadLibrary( ‘D:\WINNT\System32\opengl32.dll’ ): succeeded
…setting mode 3: 640 480 FS
…using colorsbits of 16
…registered window class
…created window@0,0 (646x505)
…35 PFDs found
…GLW_ChoosePFD failed
…35 PFDs found
…GLW_ChoosePFD failed
…WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
…shutting down QGL
…unloading OpenGL DLL
…assuming ‘3dfxvgl’ is a standalone driver
…initializing QGL
…WARNING: missing Glide installation, assuming no 3Dfx available
…shutting down QGL
----- CL_Shutdown -----

GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

steinware.dk demos (Base6, Shadi etc) error message (when it doesn’t immediately terminate):

Error -2
Fullscreen initialization failed!

EOF

it worked but still nothing ( ( (… has ne1 fixed this damn thing for counter strike yet its pissing me off…

Woah. ****. You are screwed. Dude make sure your computer cables in your computer are snuggly plugged in. Run a Error Scan and Virus Scan, and a Defrag. Next you might try Uninstalling game. Reinstall game. If problem continues try unzipping OpenGL32.dll to all game files until it works. (whatever works)

[This message has been edited by Bracholi (edited 02-27-2003).]

Hey can someone plz get me a link to where i can get an opengl driver for some Card i have for win2k PLZ PLZ PLZ

so basiclly im screwed and cs aint working anymore?

I am having the same problem in counterstrike “opengl not supported by ur video card… blah blah blah” I d/l the latest dentonator drivers but no help at all. Reinstalled Half life, no help either. Shouldn’t OPENGL provide a solution??? Since it is there problem… instead of having all of us take a wild guess.

simon i got the EXACT same thing and i have no idea what to do. if u find any solution pleaseeeee let me know… thanks

For all of you out there not as hardcore as Filo and get the old “OpenGL not supported by your graphics card” in CS,DOD, and Half-Life, the most obvious answer might help you. You can get this very error message if inside the Half-Life configuration if you have the OpenGL set to 3DFX Minidriver. That is not what you want, you want it set to default. I don’t know why they have the 3DFX Minidriver option because none of my friends use it.

This is the most common and obvious answer i can find. If you have a real problem you can follow Filo’s orders. However, all i know is that CS works perfectly on my computer with an old Geforce II and WindowsXP. There’s my two cents.

Pozan, thanks for the suggestion but that is not the case. The mini driver is not selected. It is just the default open gl mode thats having problems.

yeah mines on default and im still having problems…