HALF LIFE and WINDOWS XPPro!!

Skylar: Hrm, Win 95 and 98 don’t have the Proccesses thing. Win 2000 and XP should, unless it’s simply called something else in 2000. Also, in XP the Task Manager pops up right away when you CTRL+DEL+DEL, while 2000 instead pops up a window with a button you have to click to bring up the Task Manager. I think it’s the middle one on the bottom row.

Anyway, if you don’t have a Processes tab (maybe it’d be Jobs or Threads in 2000, I dunno), you may or may not be able to find it in whatever other listing of running programs Task Manager has. Also, if there’s a blank button left in the Task Bar after running HL click on that to make it go away. May or may not help, I’m kinda conjecturing this time.

Nullg: Hehe. Thank you very much, be sure to send me photos of young Dumbaz Kidding aside, it’s good to know that I could help!

hey, well i have the same problem. its a pain in the butt. it is compatible for XP. i have the XP verson. and i can prove it.

i have a verson of half likfe that says:

"Minimum Requirements.
¤Windows 95/98/2000/ME/XP.
¤intel Pentium 233
or AMD k6-2 300
¤32 megs Ram
¤400mb hd
¤2x CD-Rom Drive.
¤SVGA, high-colour (16-bit)
¤Win-compatible sound card.
ñ32-bit internet service provider with 28.8+ modem or LAN (for multiplayer modes)

Which i conclude is compatible for windows XP…

there must be a cure for this dam problem!

umm I have this problem with HL and CS retail… I have WinXP Radeon 7500 and my main HD set to F:… I had my computer just fine till I decided to put in a new HD, and I did reinstalled my CS retail and it didnt work in OpenGL mode nor in D3D.

Here’s how it goes:
Mode set
then I start a game enter a server or create a LAN game the whole game just crashes, the console doesn’t come up the game just crashes right there…

well then I tried and istalled HAlf Life then the CS 1.5 mod in it, half Life won’t work either. I’m getting that “Failed to load Engine DLL.”

I’ve tried installing new drivers for my Radeon nothing happened, it’s just weird it used to work just fine

anyone experiencing anything the same?

I have the sam ething with my win98se radeon 7500. I tried running dx diag for my directx and could not pass the full screen direct draw test with the card. Here is a what it said:
No problems found.
DirectDraw test results: Failure at step 7 (User verification of fullscreen bouncing): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)
Direct3D 7 test results: Failure at step 32 (User verification of Direct3D rendering): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)
Direct3D 8 test results: Failure at step 32 (User verification of Direct3D rendering): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)
Direct3D 9 test results: All tests were successful.

So i was having trouble with my direct 3d as well…

Does anyone know what could solve this, the drivers are updated and some other games wont work as well, at least in full screen…
Thanks, Apache

I got some problems as well. when i try to update server list, DoD crashes. i can’t even get in a game.

me too. I got a new Prosser (athalon 1200)
and now HL, DOD, CS what ever mod crashes on game play … I’m on XP as well… hell My grrl fiend just beat HL the other day (be fore new chip.) one other change I made was moveing from ATA to standerd … should not make a difference…

confused as well… if i figure it out i will post again… but if some one else gets this fix then PLS! post!

all so did a reinstall… of everything…

OK, I just found this forum while searching for something else. But anyways, I have been running Half-life on my XP system without problems for over a year now. Following I will give you my specs:

300 W. Power
Gigabyte GA-72X
512 PC 133
AMD Thunderbird 950
GeForce MX 420
WinXP
ATA-100 60GB Western Digital
ATA-66 17GB IBM
Toshiba DVD
Yamaha CDR/W
Sound Blast Live Value.
All newest drivers, newest BIOS, and newest patches.

As you can see my system dosn’t have the newest hardware, but I still runs counterstsrike at 1024x768 in OpenGL at 60FPS. I don’t know if any of this would help ya any, but I just thought I would post my setup. Any questions feel free to email me. jur4551c@comcast.net. I can try to help ya.

and OFCOURSE, NO response to the guy who told the people reading this thread - ‘in Windows XP, there’s some built-in acceleration that is ****ing up my aim’. Now tell me. PLEASE tell me. WHY don’t I see HORDES, massive THREADS about people with the exact, same, problem???.. Because it’s THERE, you can’t ignore it, it’s ANNOYING. What am I talking about?

The gay Windows XP built-in mouse acceleration which you CANNOT turn off in a normal fashion unless you have some parameters for HL.EXE. Now I vaguely remember it was something like -noforceaccel or something like that, but hey - it’s not like you can find that information anywhere? You think I’m wrong? PROVE me wrong. PLEASE. Because I’ve been searching all week. And I’m sure many thousands of other CS players have already switched back to a decent version of Windows (Win98SE or Win2K , the rest simply stinks) since you don’t get the problem there.

(must become a member to view certian spots>its auto just click join)to join go here http://groups.msn.com/openglproblems

once a member do this to solve ur probs

(DOCUMENT)(Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.) The opengl32.ddl is a fix u download it from documents and overite ur other c:/windows/system32 and it should play open gl games, also overite it into ur games open gl files. Make sure ur system 32 folder and ur game both have the sasme file of open gl!

Originally posted by Nike:

yep i got this error oso can anyone help?

Euhm just put after you start-up link

…/hl.exe -console -noipx

(-dev -nointro -numericping -32bpp)

gigles squirrel guy, i have the same exact problem. when i click on it, it says “this version of windows has a known compatibility error, contact Sierra” then i click continue, new game, and difficult and it says the cd isnt in there. i frickin hate it. im trying to start it in dos, but my mom wont let me in the normal dos, so im trying to use the prompt

hey guys, i just installed xp and upgrade to sp1 and installed halflife only. when i trying opening it, i get the compatability error and asks me if i want to continue, cancel or view the details, i tried viewing details and it didnt help. I clicked on continue and hl launched but when i try clicking new game, it’ll tell me to put in the hl cd even tho its in already, any ideas?

Faulting application hl.exe, version 1.1.1.1, faulting module hl.exe, version 1.1.1.1, fault address 0x00990821. can anyone help me with this plz

Originally posted by sp00k:
I’ve had some weird problems with HL. I have Windows XP with an AMD Athalon, 1.8 ghz, 512 MB of RAM, Radeon 7500 64 MB AGP, and when I play HL, after about 5 minutes my computer just turns completely off. I’m pretty sure its not a power problem, and every other game works fine, including UT2K3 and BF1942. I also have the same problem running Counterstrike, which is the retail version, installed off a totally different CD. Any possible explanation/help?

OF course I am another guy with no answers and just another problem, but here it goes

Game runs fine for a bit then randomly locks and pops up this error

“Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error!”
program: blahbalhbalbh\hl.exe
abnormal program termination

I hit ok and then below is the next box that pops up

Counter-Strike: hl.exe - Application Error

The instructions at “0xhexaddress” referenced memory at “0xanotherhexadd” The memory could not be “read”.
Click ok to terminate the program.

I know some one else had the same error accept “read” was “write” or somthin like that… ne ideas??? wtf is Visual C++ being used for in Counter Strike, must be part of this new stupid steam thing they got going.

Like the original thread, we came across the Windows STOP error blue screen with Counterstrike after 2-30 mins of play. We think we’ve narrowed the problem down to Steam and its incompatibility with the Radeon 8500 (official ATI brand) video card.

The key solution for us was switching video cards. We’ve managed to test a couple that do work with no crashing - a Radeon 9000 (PowerColor Evil Commando, NOT ATI brand) and a GF2 MX400.

Can others with working setups post what video cards they’re using? It seems most of the problems are hitting Radeon users…

My problem is less significant than most of these, but I need help nonetheless…On my old machine, I remember having problems with my computer recognizing the disc being in the drive when I tried to play the game. Well, now I’m on XP, and I can open the game and everything in compatability mode (I also recently began replaying Black and White in this fashion) but when I try to start a new game it tells me to “Insert the Half-Life CD” which is definetely already inserted…Can anybody help me here?

Originally posted by helpmeeplease:
My problem is less significant than most of these, but I need help nonetheless…On my old machine, I remember having problems with my computer recognizing the disc being in the drive when I tried to play the game. Well, now I’m on XP, and I can open the game and everything in compatability mode (I also recently began replaying Black and White in this fashion) but when I try to start a new game it tells me to “Insert the Half-Life CD” which is definetely already inserted…Can anybody help me here?

Sounds like a bad CD… but you might try cleaning it with a CD cleaner.

hmm i have the exactly problem also…
i think it has something to do with OpenGL…cause its not just i get this problem in Half-Life/CS…

i get it in this other OpenGL based game…