HALF LIFE and WINDOWS XPPro!!

I have problems with CS and XP to.
I have read all the post in this thread.
It’s very interesting to read about the verity of issues with XP an open GL.
I use to run CS on W2K it wasn’t any problems. It was smooth and fine with 100 fps.
I changed monitor. Suddenly CS was running with 60 fps. Which is very strange. So I installed XP.
Problem still there.
The monitor I’m using now is better then the old one regarding refresh rates.
Microsoft recommended to update the AGP driver……ohhh really

I’m using a GF4 card with the latest drivers. So I tried to use the fix nVidia Refresh Rate Fix MKII v2.00 E.
It gives 100 fps in CS. But its like playing with soap under your feet. Can’t have that.
I uninstalled it and tried refresh lock instead, it works fine.
So now I play with 100 fps.
The other problem with XP and CS is that XP has some sort of built in mouse acceleration which is ****ing up my aim.
I just hate it.

0.settings tab
1.advanced
2.geforce 2 tab
3.click on opengl setting
4.and where it says
5.Buffer Flipping Mode
6.select Use Block Transfer

this worked for me <pwscracked@yahoo.com>

Where can i find the newest detonator driver for nVidia? Like the exact URL.

nevermind i got it.

When I play halflife the game just cuts out at random and brings up some sort of error. I can never play online it seems, before the server even shows up it crashes halflife completely. These errors look alot like this:

NET_SendPacket ERROR: WSAEINTR
NET_SendPacket ERROR: NOERROR

Are these in any relation to anybody elses errors, and problems running halflife in XP? If so, does anyone know how to fix these errors? I’ll check sierra.com but I have not found anything yet. If you could either post or contact me at trmf@homtail.com. Thanks.

Originally posted by trmf:
[b]When I play halflife the game just cuts out at random and brings up some sort of error. I can never play online it seems, before the server even shows up it crashes halflife completely. These errors look alot like this:

NET_SendPacket ERROR: WSAEINTR
NET_SendPacket ERROR: NOERROR

Are these in any relation to anybody elses errors, and problems running halflife in XP? If so, does anyone know how to fix these errors? I’ll check sierra.com but I have not found anything yet. If you could either post or contact me at trmf@homtail.com. Thanks.[/b]

yep i got this error oso can anyone help?

Yeah thats net send packet error is not to do with graphics but i never had ti wne i was on win 98 se. i think it has something to do with the packets n a service which is installed on all connections called QoS which is meant to manage packets. i took it off and couldnt manage to connect to my isp afterwards but i think its that not allowing hl to send info correctly.

also when i run hl on open gl in win xp it crashes occasionally and says:

caused invalid error in hl.exe (nvogt.dll)

cheers, dont post if u cant help or dont hve a prob please

Originally posted by joel9933:
[b]0.settings tab
1.advanced
2.geforce 2 tab
3.click on opengl setting
4.and where it says
5.Buffer Flipping Mode
6.select Use Block Transfer

this worked for me <pwscracked@yahoo.com>[/b]

I had this same problem. Suddenly just hearing some noice and then Winxp reporting the problem.

It seemed to be really random, I even played full 1 hour clan match yesterday without problems, but other times it might do it immediatly after going to server.

Anyways I think that this did it for me… still have to test some more, but I played for some time with that setting on and no hickups.

When I play Half Life addons such as TFC Online I can play like 5 minutes then I get “Half-Life: hl.exe - Application Error”. The instruction at “0x0a74ffe2” referenced memory at “0x000000000”. The memory could not be “written”.
Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

This is quite annoying and makes me unable to play. I have Error Reporting Service enabled, however it does not report the event.

I tried the above step.
I have Vertical Sync off and Buffer-Flipping Mode use Block Transfer.
I have GF4Ti-4600 , 1024 x 846 RES.
NVIDIA Drivers: 43.45 not DIGITALLY SIGNED.
I use RefreshLock to enable 85Hz while playing.
Looking forward to see replys, thanks from a desperate guy.

I read someone’s post about a shrinker.err message. I get the same thing and don’t know how to fix it. Does anyone know what I can do? Do you think it might be the cd?

Yeah, i just upgraded from my geforce4 mx440 (POS) to a radeon 9500pro (8x faster) and now i can’t play cs in opengl… well thats not true, i can play it, but when i start the game, i have the stupid menu screen in my face, then i try to hit escape and go to resume game which usually clears up the stupid menu remnant. Upon hitting escape, it hangs everything, everything but the power button. Direct3d doesn’t do it, but i hate d3d and cs sucks with d3d. Any known issues? If only i could get an error message, then i could figure it out.

Originally posted by Hackman989:
Yeah, i just upgraded from my geforce4 mx440 (POS) to a radeon 9500pro (8x faster) and now i can’t play cs in opengl… well thats not true, i can play it, but when i start the game, i have the stupid menu screen in my face, then i try to hit escape and go to resume game which usually clears up the stupid menu remnant. Upon hitting escape, it hangs everything, everything but the power button. Direct3d doesn’t do it, but i hate d3d and cs sucks with d3d. Any known issues? If only i could get an error message, then i could figure it out.

Its a known bug in the ATI drivers, it will be fixed in the next release which should come out soon.

Thank god! I just got a whole new system I built and I am having that sort of problem. Now I can load HL or TFC actually, but if I try to tab out, or just simply exit the game it totally crashes my system. There is no other way to get it back up other than turning it off and then back on. However other than that one quite annoying problem it seems to run quite well on my new system. I haven’t had any other errors that are talked about on this board in either of my systems… actually never had any of them on anything I’ve had. I’ve run 95, 98, 98SE, ME,XP, and XP Pro. So yep… I’ve run it it on just about all windows platforms and never had a problem with half life until now… Wish the darn Nvidia card didn’t get so hot now or I would have got that.

Old Sys
Shuttle AK31A V 3.X
512 PC2100
Duron 1Ghz and later upgraded to AMD 2100(tb)
Ti4600
nothing else is really relavant
Benchmark Unreal Tournament 2003 30 fps(heavy load)

New Sys
Asus A7N8X V 2.0
1Gig PC2700 in dual channel Mode
Radeon 9700 Pro
AMD 2100 OC’ed to 2700(just changed FSB to 166)
Benchmark in Unreal Tournament 2003 at about 80fps(heavy load)

BTW Thanks for that information on the driver fix as I will definately be looking to fix that problem!

I must say this: CS works great in Windows XP with DirectX.
With OpenGL has too many bugs, I don’t know why…

Well my problem is kind of different then al of yours… CS worked fine with direct3d… but when i switched to open gl i had problems… I would be able to play a game fine… but when i exit out of cs i am not able to open it anymore… id click on it, but nothing would happen… i wouldnt be able to open quake 3 either… Could someone please help me out

That error message also comes up when I load a counterstrike game, if anyone can help me fix it PLEASE contact me

will3438@msn.com

Re: Well my problem is kind of different then al of yours… CS worked fine with direct3d… but when i switched to open gl i had problems… I would be able to play a game fine… but when i exit out of cs i am not able to open it anymore…

I have a similar problem when I’ve got HL (or any HL mod) running in Compatibility Mode. It turns out that the hl.exe “process” doesn’t terminate on it’s own in XP on my machine if it’s in compatibility mode. Just hit ALT+CTRL+DEL to bring up Task Manager and click on the Processes tab. Look for “hl.exe”, select it, and click the “End Process” button.

If you tried to launch other games after HL and they didn’t come up, you might have to do the same for their process too. Note that if you tried to launch HL multiple times while experiencing this there may be multiple HL.exe proccesses in there for you to kill. And be sure you’ve got the Proccesses tab selected, because Half-Life disappears from the Applications tab even tho the HL.exe process is still in the Processes tab!

Good luck!

Hrmm well when i CTRL ALT DEL and task manager comes up… i see no process tab anywhere

Skylar, I got the same problem and THAT’S THE SOLUTION!!! Thank you so much dumbaz. Something that simple screwin up the works, gawd. OMFG what pain in the ass having to reboot everytime. BTW skylar, how do you not have a processes tab? What does your task manager look like when you bring it up. I remember turning on that compatability crap now. Where do I turn it off? Lol, I forget. Hopefully when I turn it off, it’ll fix this problem and create 5 more.

Holy mother of god! Turning that compatibility crap off fixed it. Skylar, right-click on your CS icon, go to properties, goto compatibility tab, and uncheck the compatibility mode box. Harmony has returned for the moment. Dumbaz will now be the name of my first born.