GL_TEXTURE_3D filtering

Has there been any progress on this issue since 2002? I think I’m having the same problem with a 3D texture with dimensions 256x256x4.

If I use the minification filter GL_LINEAR, the texture looks speckly at a distance. If I use GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR, the 4 layers along the r-axis blend together way to fast. A way to scale the mipmap level along just one axis would be great.

Only think i can think of to help would be to turn anisotropic filtering up as far as it will go…

Alternately, for the original problem of loading multiple 2d textures at once, you could just load up all the available texture image units, and switch between them using GLSL (didn’t look like ARBfp would work last time i looked at doing that tho)

Depending on the situation you could also implement a rough version of mipmapping yourself by creating seperate textures for 2562564, 1281284 etc. and simply choosing the appropriate one for each object.

-Ilkka

I tried aniosotropic filtering, but then things just got extra colorful. It looks like my graphics drivers were horking on that one. Maybe I’ll try again after the next driver update.