GF3 opens on Mac???

btw, i dont like macs, but it is a nive thing from nvidia i think to “help” the mac (i know, it doesnt need help…), and i have to wait for the geforce3mx anyways, cause i dont have the money to buy such a thing in the expensive version…

what i hate is that i dont get a win2k version of 1050… i really want to play with the gf3 emulator…

I think it’s great that Jobs has decided to really jump into the graphics/games thing.

As for GF3 being released on the mac first, who cares.

I want to buy a mac sometime so I can start learning to program on multi platforms.

what 3d graphics api does the mac use.
hint it aint d3d. i say the more ppl that have a mac the better.
hmm cant send this post without a bit of abuse. theres only one person in the computer industry thats bigger nob than uncle bill and thats that whining pursuer of bad business policy jobs.

Originally posted by WhatEver:
[b]I think it’s great that Jobs has decided to really jump into the graphics/games thing.

As for GF3 being released on the mac first, who cares.

I want to buy a mac sometime so I can start learning to program on multi platforms.[/b]

So install Linux/FreeBSD then. Even so, you won’t get a GF3 on those platforms - because they’re only out on Mac right now.

Besides - spend an exhorbitant amount of money on something as useless as a Mac to cross develope - or spend $20 on a Linux distro. Hmm… I know how my cross-platform development learning would go.

And as far as Dave’s comment “Stop posting threads like these…”

Well… read my thoughts you arrogant… n/m.

This is a completely valid topic - I’m just wondering what NVidia’s motive was here. It just doesn’t make much sense.

Siwko

me arrogant?
dont think so, but when you think, do what you want i just dont like such posts where just some guys cry around on **** that noone can change anyways (go to the_ctrl_alt_del, and you can read such stuff all the day in and out…) there is just no sence in these things, thats all… guys crieing around, uähh, gf3 is to expensive… no one said they have to buy it when it comes out… wait a month and its cheaper, wait a second month and an “mx” version is out… not so fast, but cheap like a tnt2 ( in swiss, its like that ). i just dont understand guys wich have such problems…

nvidias motive… ok, that may sound bad, but… money is always motive, not? i mean, steve jobs has a flopping cube, a flopping mac os x etc… the imac whas not his work, and it whas great, but now he is back, and everything he does until now whas a flop… next thing he try is to get the mac as a gaming station with the gf3… think he gave nvidia muuuuuuuuch money to do that (they had to create a different gf3 for mac itselfs cause the stdone dont work on a mac…)

nvidia has no problems doing it for mac, they will sell the gf3 anyways much enough for em, just mac could have some profit when its released there first…

my cents… now flame me if you want

>It would be like plugging a PC card into an
>Alpha or Sparc workstation and just
>magically expecting it to work.

Umm… that IS what the OpenBoot thing is
all about. Which is used on Alphas, and
Sparcs, and PowerPCs. Just not on x86s.

For the ignorant: OpenBoot is this Forth-like
execution environment for writing BIOS-es for
devices. The idea being that the boot ROM of
a machine can contain a small Forth
interpreter to kick boot devices (screen,
disk, keyboard, etc) into a know state; once
the OS is up, presumably it loads a custom
driver written for the OS/architecture/card
in question to drive it at full speed. It’s
a good idea if you ask me, even though it
was invented by Sun (IIRC).

I thought it was called OpenFirmware… I also thought that only Macs used it. In any case, the BIOS for Mac and PC clearly must be different.

Forth… no real programmer would ever want to touch Forth.

• Matt

The whole reason for the initial mac release is rather simple actually. Nvidia wants to increase market share. That’s the whole point. They already have the top card in the PC market (GTS) so they can afford to milk that for a while. It’s simple business. Jobs paying them was just icing on the cake.

That being said, I don’t enjoy the milking process. I’ve been waiting for the NV20 since the rumors about it began surfacing quite some time ago. I guess I’ll just have to hang on to my TNT2 for a bit longer…

mmmmm…milk and cake.

funk.