Forget OpenGL on Macs

Why forget OpenGL on Macintosh ?
Why should I adress more then 4 GB of ram right now ? (I don’t have it anyway)
I’m not into these little details like you guys are, but assume that Mac OS is not perfect on 64bit right now, I’m very confident that it will be very soon.

The point is, apple users like their system in general, just let us ! If you like your PC, so ok, just have some patience, Micro$oft will copy the good things some day, don’t worry about that, they allways did.
I’m a cad-manager and I can tell that since the time that the developers changed from UNIX to the windows-platform, the **** really began !

I’m a very happy Apple user too, and I couldn’t care less about more than 4GiB of RAM – I don’t even have 1GiB.

The point is not that the G5 isn’t good (it is) or that Mac OS X isn’t good (it is), but that neither fanaticism nor misinformation is useful.

Apple is pushing the G5 as the world’s first 64-bit personal computer. The fact is that it’s not the world’s first 64-bit personal computer, and Mac OS X makes essentially no use of being 64-bit. That’s all I’m trying to say.

[This message has been edited by OneSadCookie (edited 09-11-2003).]

Hi Cookie,

You should’ve followed your own advice in your first post on this (lame) thread and not fed the troll ;-).

But since we’re here, can I ask: which is the world’s first 64bit PC? You mention a Linux ABI for PPC, but doesn’t that mean a G5 anyway?

Or, does IBM make a 64-bit based system that runs that ABI? If so, is it an IBM Linux distribution?

Just curious…

Heh, I refrained from feeding the original troll, but I couldn’t help correcting ignorance and misinformation…

AMD x86-64 (“Opteron”) chips have been available for a while, and although targeted at workstations they certainly have been used in desktop PCs.

There are also plenty of people using Sun/SGI/whoever’s offerings as desktop PCs. 64-bit computing isn’t new, Alpha, Sparc and MIPS at least have been 64-bit for many years now.

IBM has 64-bit PowerPC chips in “iSeries” and “pSeries” machines, which have been around for a while. The Power4 is also supposed to be able to run 64-bit PowerPC code. IBM does contribute to Linux development, but I’d imagine that you could run Debian (at least) on such a machine. This isn’t really my area of expertise, you’ll get more from Google

After reading all the technicals, I am forced to reply. I am an ordinary user, no degrees in computer stuff, no reeeeally spiritual connection with the Mac or Windoze gods. I just know one thing; When I turn my computer on I want it to work, period. I’ve owned two Windoze P.C.'s now I own none. I own four (4) Mac’s, A G-3 Imac, a “souped up” 7500/100, a 6500/300, and a 6116 Performa. All with considerable amounts of Ram and all running 8.6 except the Imac which is running 9.2, by the way, “I hate my Imac”. Out of all of them my 7500 out performs them all. It may be a little slow but It never crashes, and is always faithful. The Imac crashes constanly, The screen sux and its built like a toy. The only reason I keep it is because its my MOTU work station. Consequently it never crashes when “DP” is running, Thank God. Anyway, My point. I got rid of Windows 15 or so years ago never to return,“The DOS days” because it just
was too much trouble. Interupts, and switches, ports, I still have Post Traumatic Windoze Syndrom. I love my Macs cause they work when I need to. Period. One day I might move to OS X or even to a G-5 “I’m getting naucious” but until then If it aint broke don’t fix it. Besides I’ll have to spend thousands of dollars on new software and hardware, and my clients and I are happy just the way things are now. So keep your Giga bits, Firewire, Tera werps, and all that other stuff. I’m chillen in the dark ages with SCSI and ADBs. Everythings Macopastic… Peace and hair grease.
Oh! and by the way; If the KKK owns or runs the Mac world, I guess I should thank them for the thousands of dollars in profits Ive earned and being self employed entrepreneur, and the countless artist Ive helped for the last 6 years. Just another independent, black, brother. “Clocken madd chedda!” put dat on ya cross and burn it!!!

[This message has been edited by Macopastetic (edited 09-14-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Macopastetic (edited 09-14-2003).]

And the last quote brought to you by the Apple Computer Marketing department. Apple also recently stole MLK’s image in its effort to try to clean up its image of being a band of dirtbag thugs that openly practice mass racial segregation. Unfortunately, the people portrayed under MLK’s image, on apple’s job website, were all white!
Hey Macopastetic, if you’re really a black non-technical Mac user with no degree in computer science, then
WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN AN OPENGL DEVELOPMENT FORUM ON OPENGL.ORG?? and, HOW DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THIS SITE…I WOULD IMAGINE THAT OPENGL.ORG IS AS USELESS AS YOUR POSTING,TO YOU.
Your claim that macs don’t crash as much as “windoze” is BS as well. Only apple made that claim and they’ve stopped doing that because of liability issues. Mac OS X might run a few days (although programs running under it will crash CONSTANTLY), but dare to turn your mac off and on again and you might end up never being able to get into it again…

GIVE US A LINK WHERE WE CAN SEE YOUR PICTURE. I dare you.

All good examples of why children should not be allowed on the Internet.

Huhuhuhuh; first he signs in with a new account pretending to be the “black dude entrepeneur” and now he is “Howard Roark”
accusing everyone of acting like children.

…white supramacist Apple Employees getting paid to do nothing…it explains your crappy products.

Originally posted by OOOk…:
[b]Huhuhuhuh; first he signs in with a new account pretending to be the “black dude entrepeneur” and now he is “Howard Roark”
accusing everyone of acting like children.

…white supramacist Apple Employees getting paid to do nothing…it explains your crappy products.

[/b]

You guys reeeeally take this too seriously. First of all I could give two shi#‘s about Apple, Windoze or Open GL. The only reason why I responded to any of this is because I thought it would be entertaining to get a response be it negative or positive and also to see if I needed to get an Open GL update, “The latter being the original motivation.” for my antiquated computers but, I guess you have to be a computer guru to read on the back of a game “Go to Open GL.com to see if you have the most recent version”, or maybe you have to be a computer engineer to use the internet to research programs that enhance your computers functionality. You see P.C. Guru’s aren’t the only people who can read and contrary to popular belief, "black men do read, occasionally ". (Hope that did’t go to far over your head.) As far as me being a authentic brother, I’m not eeeeeven gonna entertain that notion.
I guess you’ll never know. Lastly, Who the hell is Howard Roark and I never said, My Mac’s don’t crash but I guess you can’t read either, I understand “KKK sucks”, "We blacks have had to deal with that problem for a while now, Thank God for “Hooked On Phonics”. As a matter of fact, “Does anyone wanna by a piece of Sh@t I-Mac?” aaaaand I don’t even own OS X, or 10, or Jaguar-Shmaguar, Rhapsody or whatever the hell you wan’t to call it, so I wouldn’t know If It works or not and frankly, I don’t give a damn. I’m still stickn’ with my ol-faithful 75/100 with 8.6. Oh, and by the way, “Ooooks”, “Apple does not have offices in New Orleans and if they did they probaly couldn’t use any Brass Band Musicians anyway”. This was really quite amusing you guys…, Y’all ought to get a more interesting hobby other than entertaining uninformed, ignant’, or is it ignorant? “Sorry, I should’t be on this site, I’m too stupid”, people like me. And thanks again KKK, I made $200.00 bucks today, that’s 700.00 this week. “May the force be with you”, I thought you geeks would relate better to that. Maybe I’ll see ya on Bourbon Street one day; Look fot the short black guy in The Open Door playing trumpet with the Rebirth Brass Band, and If you must see me go here: MP3.com/gas, I’m the black guy. Seeeee…, This site isn’t entirely useless… Only to brothers like me, boy was this fun. “Peace”

[This message has been edited by Macopastetic (edited 09-18-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Macopastetic (edited 09-18-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Macopastetic (edited 09-19-2003).]

I think I’ve proved my point about the Powermac G5 being yet another piece of dud-ware from our favorite band of racist POND SCUM losers.

Tee hee.

That’s a serious case of G5 envy you have there rumsfeld. You should get treatment for that.

Oh yes, I think they’re great objects of ridicule and laughter.
Funnier than the iMac and G4 Cube put together. What a waste of great GPU’s from nVidia and ATI though… that part is Sad.

Originally posted by duh:
duuuuuuuh

There’s no place like home.
There’s no place like home.

Wichita 'kin about?

Why don’t you people go with the flow, each to thier own. Variety is the spice of life. By the way, anyone here talking about opengl?

Originally posted by novobar:
By the way, anyone here talking about opengl?

Yes, I was, and then employees of Apple Computer started rampaging the thread.
(BTW, someone had hacked into OpenGL.org so all the IP’s of Apple employees got exposed! )

Originally posted by rumsfeld:
Yes, I was, and then employees of Apple Computer started rampaging the thread.
(BTW, someone had hacked into OpenGL.org so all the IP’s of Apple employees got exposed! )

Liar.

The only time you mentioned OpenGL was in your thread title, and you didn’t say a thing about it. You’re not talking about OpenGL at all, you’re trolling about Apple because of some made-up fantasy about racism.

Gary, why don’t you shut up and stop feeding the troll.

Yeah… Stop The Insanity!!!

Originally posted by Susan Powter:
Yeah… Stop The Insanity!!!

You guys still at it… That’s pathetic.

“Apple is a loser company taken over and run by members of the Ku Klux Klan.
Don’t waste your time developing software for their crummy machines.
Even their G5 is a useless piece of garbage and it doesn’t make sense why a 64-bit G5 chip can barely keep up with a Pentium 4 or other similar 32 bit chips that are half the price and used by nearly computer user on the planet.”

Whoever wrote that needs to be taken into a field, shot, and then skull f***ed. =)