Failure on USM shared malloc with large sizes

Hi everyone,

I have a question about USM shared malloc arguments.

In my program, I use a USM shared pointer with size 2*N*N:

std::vector<float> A(2 * N * N);
auto A_acc = (Array<float, 2, N, N> *)malloc_shared( sizeof(Array<float, 2, N, N>), 
                         deviceQueue.get_device(), deviceQueue.get_context());
new (A_acc) Array<float, 2, N, N>(A.data());

Inside the kernel I reference the shared memory via A_acc[0][0][i][j] and A_acc[0][1][i][j].

My program works when N is set to values smaller than 24 (like 8, 16 or 24), but it fails at size 32.

May I ask if there is any limitations on using USM pointers inside kernels?

Thanks & Regards
Sajjad

Can you post the full example or at least a minimum test case showing the problem, which compiler & system you are using, which accelerator are you targeting? Otherwise it is difficult to help. For example I have no idea about what is “Array” and so on.

Thanks for your response. This is how I am defining Array:

template<typename T, int N, int... Rest>
struct Array : std::array<Array<T, Rest...> , N>{
  using std::array<Array<T, Rest...> , N>::operator[];
};

template<typename T, int N>
struct Array<T, N> : std::array<T, N>{
  using std::array<T, N>::operator[];
};

I am using the CUDA backend on DPC++ where the malloc_shared calls cuda_piextUSMSharedAlloc in the Cuda plugin API and then it makes a call to cuMemAllocManaged.

I see, your Array is multidimensional array defined by using recursively a std::array.
I cannot see any obvious reason for the failure.
Perhaps some alignment constraints?
For N = 32, this requires 8192 bytes, which might hit a bug when using more than one 4K page?
Anyway, it looks related to a specific implementation with a specific back-end. so I suggest you open an issue on GitHub - intel/llvm: Intel staging area for llvm.org contribution. Home for Intel LLVM-based projects. with a complete example which can compile and exhibits the bug at run time so they can directly try the code.

Thank you very much for the pointers.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.