EXT_multi_draw_arrays + ARB_vertex_buffer_object. = insania

At one time, I heard NVIDIA claim that GeForce 2 and up support signed short, in addition to float, as long as the start of each tuple sat on an 4-byte boundary. Thus, you could pack a normal into three shorts, but you’d have to waste the fourth short, because it wouldn’t be properly aligned. U, V packs well into two shorts; two U, V pairs pack into four contiguous shorts (I seem to recall).

This could actually be tested, by putting data into an NV_vertex_array_range, setting up the pointers, and testing whether the array range is valid or not. We did that way back when, and I seem to remember that the results are as reported above.

Additionally, NVIDIA supports unsigned bytes (still 4-byte aligned) for colors; in fact, that’s the preferred representation (unless you’re doing floating point precision stuff and need more).

(1) Personally used signed shorts for position with VBO, they’re acceleated.

(2) if I remember correctly, the VAR extension spec has an appendix detailing under which format/alignment conditions a vertex pointer is accelerated. I think you could do

• signed shorts for position/texcoord
  • signed bytes for normals
  • unsigned bytes for color

but you better may read up the VAR spec at the extension registry.

Originally posted by yooyo:
[b]@knackered

Im just curious… did you fix the bug?

yooyo[/b]
No, never fixed the bug. I ended up just restricting tile size to 512x512, which works flawlessly. Just one of those things one has to just accept, I suppose.