DirectX's goal: Make Programmers pull their hair out

I just got DirectX 9 and it looks way easier than previous versions. We are going from VS 6 to .Net and I can’t get the opengl examples working well from csgl.

A few more comments:

I originally learned Direct3d back in version 3. Then I tried OpenGL and I like it alot better. It just seems like a more elegant and clean API. D3d is definitely getting more OpenGL like, but the early stuff was really bad.

Anyway, I have heard it is easier for a video card manufacturer to build a DX driver than a full blown OpenGL ICD implementation. That may be why there is more vender support.

But in addition to being a more elegant API - OpenGL is cross-platform! This is has huge implications. I don’t think DX will ever run natively in Linux or Mac or Playstation…

Happy Coding :slight_smile:

Cross platform is an advantage, however, I have never even seen a company that uses something other than Microsoft. We and all of our customers use Windows. The university and the big companies in Tulsa use unix. Just try using the VI editor or the unix email and you will appreciate VS .net alot more. I say give directx 9 a try. If enough people do, then maybe a newer version of OpenGL will come out. I left DirectX 8 because it sucked big time. At first glance directx 9 looks alot easier.

I PREFER Quick Draw 3D RAVE (Let the spamming begin) hehehe… my way of saying “Hi, I’m new” :stuck_out_tongue:

Downloaded DX9 few days ago & it seems to be WERY hard written SDK. Just the CD has 5k files Will get to learning as soon as possible, in meanwhile took a quick shot at some samples & I feel impressed, some though things can be done in just few lines & utility support seems to be at its heights
After all those threads devoted to DX I was waiting monster, but I can see only powerfull&peaceloving cat
I’m not saying that OpenGL fights a loosing battle especialy till 2.0 isn’t out, but I’m impressed with DX now, although things like vertex buffer are nice things to get additional bugZ.

BTW, where can I find sites like NeHe or gametutorials(OGL part) about DX.

Sorry for DX advertising, but I understood that I must learn both APIs.

[This message has been edited by M/\dm/
(edited 01-06-2003).]

The only Direct X 9 site I know of is www.directx4vb.com of course it is written in vb, which is the easiest language I have ever seen. Don’t worry about whether to go to C++ C# or VB .Net , they are all identical. The code for all looks exactly the same. It looks like a morph of c++ vb and Java. Anyway back to the web site. It is the best site I know for simple examples that only highlite certain features.

There is also NeXe . It is meant to be the counterpart of the NeHe site, but i don’t know it is all that good. Check out Andy Pike’s site . That’s a REALLY good site for DirectX. But in terms of just DirectX 9, I have no idea. The link in the above post sounds good.

-Halcyon

Edit: The hyperlink to Andy Pike’s site had a stray period in it .

[This message has been edited by Halcyon (edited 01-06-2003).]

OK You war mongers. This seems to be the place to fire my blunderbuss. I have just completed an MCP in VB and have my first job as a proper programming bod. Am I scared? Yes! I am bricking it. Now, here’s the thing.

I am writing the front end of an app, it need to display a graph of data (or some similar thing) and this graph must be 3D with all the features which are assocciated with 3D technology (zoom, rotate etc.).

My (furure) boss has seen a demo CD of OpenGL and wants it to be used. I am thinking DX is better because it if far better integrated with VB. I have no experiance of either, or of any other 3D modelling language other than half and hour with VRML.

Discuss! I do actually whan to know what to say. (Though MS is evil isn’t much help as they are providing me with my entry into the IT world!)

Cheers guys & keep it above the belt!

In that case, OpenGL is bound to give you working results earlier. Check out Nehe’s first few tuts, get some sphere drawing code (rip it from glut perhaps), draw a few lines in between and you should be all set.

(prolly not what you wanted to hear …)

[This message has been edited by zeckensack (edited 01-07-2003).]

Indeed, I had a play with OGL & found it a bit taxing on the old grey matter. Mainly because trying to find support for OGL with VB (rather than VC++) is damn near impossible (NeHe isn’t bad though). However, I did find the site mentioned above (http://www.directx4vb.com/) really quite good.

Could you recoment a newbie’s guide to 3D moddelling. Not a proggramming book but just something to learn basic terms from? like ‘Bump-Mapping’ and ‘Raster’ (which I had previously thought of as a pot smoking Jamaican).

Still, 1 vote to OGL!

Cheers man

Look for redbook link in these forums