Converting IFC format to GLTF

Hello,
I have been trying to use IFC file on my Unity application, where i have to upload/download from the AWS cloud server. Due to the compatibility issue i couldn’t use IFC directly on my unity application.
So would like to learn more from you
1.Can i convert directly from IFC to .GLTF format using your plugin ?
2. Will it convert faster and less memory in size if it converts?
3.What would be the other workaround to use IFC in unity application using AWS?

1 Like

1.Can i convert directly from IFC to .GLTF format using your plugin ?

Are you asking about a specific plugin? One option might be this tool: GitHub - xBimTeam/XbimGltf: Export IFC geometry to gltf and related data to json. If you can get an IFC file into Blender or other 3D software that supports glTF exporter, that is also an option.

1. Will it convert faster and less memory in size if it converts?

With some optimization of the glTF file, probably yes. But a lot depends on the approach used to convert the file… if the converter does not take advantage of instancing or quantization you may need to optimize the glTF file further after converting. Tools like gltfpack are helpful for this. The optimization process tends to merge parts of the model, which is a necessary process for efficient realtime rendering.

3.What would be the other workaround to use IFC in unity application using AWS?

I’m not a user of IFC or Unity, and so can’t comment on this one.

Hi Donmccurdy
I can see that, that open source which you have shared for conversion lacks on converting geometrical data which is very prominent on working with construction projects.

The following is the description which is there on their document.
“The glTF format has been identified as a candidate for such portable format, however it lacks the ability to retain meaningful semantic properties of the geometries exported that are necessary for most business workflows in the built environment”

glTF is focused on realtime rendering. IFC has very different focus on the construction industry, and different strengths and weaknesses because of it. Few realtime renderers support IFC. If your goal is a “business workflow in the built environment” I would suggest sticking with formats like IFC for that, or else planning to make significant use of custom extensions within glTF to preserve this business data.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.