Blender workflow with glb extension for web

Hello! I got a big problem. I work as producting 3d modelled objects after I create one of them I need to upload into a web 3d viewer. Now one of them is a semi-transparent plastic spectacular. I created the model in Blender and the material aswell. The material is too complex to bake it to glb instantly. I tried it and as it is expected the web viewer cant handle my material.

Is there a solution with Blender to create a useable material? I looked all over the internet but I didnt find any good solution for this. As I know it can be solve with Substance painter but I never used that before. I would appreciate if someone could find me a solution in Blender.

Thank you so much!

The documentation for the Blender glTF importer/exporter can tell you exactly what types of materials may be exported from Blender to glTF. Generally, any inputs to the Principled BSDF material must either by textures or simple values, or baked into textures before export.

If you need help setting up your material within those requirements, you’ll have to share enough details about the material that someone can re-create it. Blender’s forums (https://blender.stackexchange.com/ or https://blenderartists.org/) might be helpful if the question is about baking textures in Blender, rather than glTF specifically, as they’ll have more Blender users there.

Sure! Thanks for your answer!

This is the spectacular I want to export basicly. (The nosepads material haven’t been finished yet but now it doesn’t matter.
The main thing is the temples and frame material. As you can see on the temple where it’s not black it’s semi transparent and the wire inside of the plastic can be seen.
I attach the node too. I know it’s not a glb/gltf compatible this way I created it. But I couldn’t figure anything out with the same result what can be baked. And foremore if I put away the transparency and I bake it without it I put the opacity for alpha blending or cliping or hashed after baking the temple in the background will be seeing first through thecloser parts of the spec. Any idea? And yes I will ask Blender forums too :slight_smile:

It should be possible to bake all of those nodes to a single texture in Blender. The texture’s RGB components can be connected to “Base Color” as you have here, and the alpha channel should be connected to the Principled BSDF “Alpha” socket, probably with the material set to “Alpha Blend” mode. This also means converting from object texture coordinates to UVs. See this how-to: https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/133631/convert-object-texture-coordinates-to-uv

But baking the alpha channel is a bit harder, see transparency - How to bake alpha in Cycles? - Blender Stack Exchange. Perhaps baking it as Transmission would work, but this is a better question for Blender’s forums really. This is more complicated with the entire frame being transparent, frankly, you may find that realtime viewers have a hard time with that, and Blender’s preview in “Alpha Blend” mode is a good indicator usually.

Most of Blender’s nodes cannot be exported to any other format or software, so if you want materials to work outside Blender it’s necessary to bake textures, one way or another. Blender users would probably have the best advice on how to do this most easily.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.