ATI hates Linux and GL

I mean by driver a full implementation of 2D and 3D acceleration, which is not true even in NVIDIA.
NV has very excellent OpenGL (3D part) driver, but lacks of 2D accelration for UI or specifically plain X Window. Otherwise how come that GDI on Windows makes UI smooth and fast like hell.

well, we chucked away about 100 ATI FireGL cards when we switched to linux - kinda defeated the point of linux really, since the Nvidia cards cost more than windows licenses…

ZigZag, I’m afraid you’re wrong. My nv card is pretty much faster on X with the nv drivers than with the default linux ones. Just disable the proprietary drivers and you’ll see ! If you still don’t believe me, try a more old computer.
If you want to make a comparison with windows, you’ll need to test X11 apps (not gtk, qt and so on just because they are layers, so are potentially slower). And there are many other reasons (like the number of processes, the scheduling priorities and so on).

About ATI that sucks: doesn’t that SGI selling computers with ATI cards ?? I’ve seen it recently.

Then how to disable proprietry drivers?

just by having a look at the drivers documentation. For nv cards, you’ll have to put “nv” instead of “nvidia” so that it won’t load the proprietary drivers in the XorgConfig or XF86Config file.

Maybe I should re-state my question:

I got the ATI drivers and installed them, but while installing many unresolved externa symbols in the driver module were found, and hence the driver could not be loaded?

What’s wrong?

Linux Redhat 9 Kernel 2.4
XF86 4.3

My answers were from your reply about nv drivers that are not 2D accelerated (cf above).

Unfortunately I can’t help you. I just know that there are 2 versions of the ATI drivers: the free ones and the proprietary ones. Try to switch to the other (surely proprietary).

The unresolved external symbols might arise because your kernel might miss some stuffs.

Unresolved symbols in the modules usually means that your drivers have problems with xour kernel. Maybe you have some part (e.g. drm (direct rendering manager) ) compiled into your kernel and use a
module from the driver which needs a newer version of the part you compiled into your kernel.
So for example if you have radeon (free drivers) or fglrx (nonfree) from some external source you should use the drm that came with the drivers since it could be incompatible with the drm in the kernel.

I agree.
If you get a wrong kernel header for your driver’s kernel module.you must get a bad driver binary.

so. At first ,you should install the driver correctly

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.