ARBvbo posted

Tom,

Early implementations of VBO were just for API correctness (so that apps could begin porting). In current internal builds, VBO is as fast as VAR.

mproso,

Many of the strange aspects of VAR have been hidden by VBO. It doesn’t mean that there aren’t underlying hw restrictions, but the driver has more flexibility to work around those restrictions in ways that do not hinder performance.

evanGLizr,

Contexts survive mode switches and power management events. The things that may not survive are mapped buffer objects.

Coriolis,

The slides provide a higher-level introduction. The don’t contain more information than is in the spec.

Thanks -
Cass

Originally posted by evanGLizr:
AFAIK OpenGL cannot survive modechanges in XP because of XP’s design (the OS invalidates the WNDOBJ handler when not in the same resolution the WNDOBJ was created in), and MS acknowledges that shortcoming.

I don’t believe this is accurate. Our drivers have been able to recover from modeswitches (including color depth switches) for years now. That includes both Win9x and NT in all its variants – NT4, Win2K, WinXP. We consider it a solved problem.

The real issue has more to do with discarding the vidmem heap. However, this is not an insoluble problem.

• Matt

This extension was sorely needed. Kudos to all ihv who worked on it.

I tried it out with gf3 and drivers 43.00, got it to not generate errors, but i get SLOWER result with it than normal vertex arrays?? having Vertex,Normal and indices in bertex buffers, just color and one light…
and, static_draw once, only rebind the arrays each frame, not the buffers ( yea i know, an implementation misstake by me in my engine )

can i query for the buffers validation?

You know what would be nice? A html file with links pointing to split extension specification text files. As it is now the file is too long and I keep scrolling up and down all the time to read it. The issue section should be categorized. Have an overview section and a function reference section would be nice as well. Doesn’t anyone ever reads directX docs? Hyperlinking is so cool

Matt, cass, how does streaming differ from mapping? Am I correct in thinking that d3d9 dynamic buffers = mapped vertex buffer objects? Trying to make sense out of this that’s all.

Originally posted by mcraighead:
[b] I don’t believe this is accurate. Our drivers have been able to recover from modeswitches (including color depth switches) for years now. That includes both Win9x and NT in all its variants – NT4, Win2K, WinXP. We consider it a solved problem.

The real issue has more to do with discarding the vidmem heap. However, this is not an insoluble problem.

• Matt[/b]

You have funny drivers since when creating the GL surface, if I pass a HWND=NULL, it succeeds creating the GL window everytime and works without problems.

The “GDI generic microsoft” implementation and MESA fail.

Well, that wasn’t intentional. I didn’t initialize my HWND so I discovered it accidently.

Isn’t NULL supposed to be the ‘window’ handle to the desktop surface? That would make it valid … to some extent.

This is a really good news. I don’t see the moment to remove those VAR, VAO paths.

Have you notice that the slides of the other talks in this year GDC OpenGL tutorial are also here (some of them are not in the NVIDIA web site): http://www.r3.nu/~cass/gdc_slides
I was there and I recommend you all of them. Especially: GDC2003_OGL_Performance and GDC2003_OGL_ARBSuperbuffers

Originally posted by Mazy:
I tried it out with gf3 and drivers 43.00, got it to not generate errors, but i get SLOWER result with it than normal vertex arrays??

Try 43.30. I have no problem matching VAR performance on my GF3.

– Tom

Originally posted by Cab:
[b]
Have you notice that the slides of the other talks in this year GDC OpenGL tutorial are also here (some of them are not in the NVIDIA web site): http://www.r3.nu/~cass/gdc_slides
I was there and I recommend you all of them. Especially: GDC2003_OGL_Performance and GDC2003_OGL_ARBSuperbuffers

[/b]

No need to spend all of Cass’ bandwidth. They’re all located here as well.
http://www.opengl.org/developers/code/tutorials.html#gdc2003

Very cool stuff!!! An update to the Performance FAQ was sorely needed.

Originally posted by zeckensack:
Isn’t NULL supposed to be the ‘window’ handle to the desktop surface? That would make it valid … to some extent.

Yes, only the first time. Then it should be failing.

Maybe this “feature” will help people who want to render to the desktop.

When will we see some FGL 9700 drivers supporting this ??

Originally posted by PK:
Very cool stuff!!!

nVidia and ATI logos side by side in all presentations!!! World will never be the same again…

The ARB VBO support is in ATI drivers right now. When it appears in shipping drivers just depends on when the qualification cycles for different driver kits complete.

Depending on how things line up, I would say that VBO will be either in the next released driver or the one after that. I would expect those with access to developer drivers will see it extremely soon if not already.

-Evan

How do you get access to ATI dev drivers ? I represent a company in Sweden working with a scene graph and I do need access to that extension.

You need to register as a developer. There’s a form here:
http://apps.ati.com/developers/devform1.asp

does anyone know how to fix the det. 43.30
resolution and refresh rate issue?

with 43.00 i could get near any resolution and refresh rates above 100 Hz.

now with 43.30 the resolutions are restricted to some. and i get max 85 Hz. refresh rate.

thanks

Just for the heck of it here is a link to these latest beta nvidia drivers incase someone doesn’t know where to get them:
http://www.3dchipset.com/drivers/beta/nvidia/nt5/index.php

I actually found these pretty easy in google but I’ll be nice and put 'em here.

-SirKnight

Originally posted by tellaman:
yes and where to get headers?
thanks!

Originally posted by jra101:
http://cvs1.nvidia.com/inc/GL/glext.h

What kind of power curve can I expect with these new headers? Can you post a dyno sheet?

[This message has been edited by JONSKI (edited 03-18-2003).]

Originally posted by JONSKI:
What kind of power curve can I expect with these new headers? Can you post a dyno sheet?

Power curve? Dyno sheet?