AMD conditional rendering broken

Just tested Catalyst 13.4 on XP with conditional rendering… and it doesn’t work. All the same with the same code from 1-st post. So they didn’t fix it in 2 month, despite the fact they clearly confirmed it on AMD developer boards. Nice job, AMD. As always.

Why would you expect it to be fixed in two months? Generally, it takes AMD several driver release cycles to get fixes in. It took them 6 months to make ARB_sampler_objects actually work.

Esoteric OpenGL features are not a high priority for them. That shouldn’t be a surprise.

well, it was actually reported first time almost 3 month ago. and then i reported it again, explaining some additional details and got confirmation that they are working on fix. i thought it was a plenty of time. i have no idea about their work cycles and priorities, they generally don’t announce such things.

can you elaborate on why conditional rendering is esoteric? occlusion query was considered as promising optimization tool since long time ago, but without conditional rendering on AMD it’s still usable only to cull lens flares and i don’t even know what else. it seems like they’re the reason it may be considered esoteric. because there’s not much point implementing optimization algorithm which doesn’t work on significant share of modern GPU’s. in case of commercial application, it will may cause bitching and blaming the developer.

can you elaborate on why conditional rendering is esoteric?

Can you name a significant high-performance application that uses conditional rendering through OpenGL? If not, then it’s esoteric. It’s used only by a few, and those few don’t have significant clout to complain and get AMD to put a rush on a fix.

AMD implements what people use. They test based on what is used by real applications, not what the spec says. Oh, they’ll fix the bug (probably. Assuming they’re still around). But it’s far from a priority for them.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.