a bit of selfpromotion

very handy that a small terrain is in the nature of the game :wink:
design to your limitations

so I take it anything over the water doesn’t cast a shadow?
yeah they do water is just another object like the terrain building (goes through the same pipeline), if you notice some water/landscape without a shadow in the distance that’ll be due i cast sun shadows up to 750m distance (the terrain is 1km x 1km)

also, I take it the water is just a pixel shader - there’s no geometry in it? (apart from the inevitable single quad)
theres multiple patches (u need to cause of the lights) the further away from the terrain the larger the patches are.

also WRT to shadows for whatever youre working on if its something where the viewpoint is close to the terrain eg FPS/car game then u might wanna look closer at a perspective SM technique.

theres actually an error somewhere (esp apparent with the water) the optimized build is ~30% slower than the slow build. (which is good news), im not zeroing memory somewhere of something i assume, ill track it down today (i love that stuff).

thanks everyone for the kind words, i dont know what the next milestone is

Ok totally off topic but in that picture of yourself u look like sawyer in lost
yeah ive got a generic face (wacko stole my nose)
ppl look phyiscally similar when htey’re young + old. (is it a pure physical thing or does metal play a part eg the dumbing down of values the ppl hold when they get older)

Originally posted by zed:
[quote]very handy that a small terrain is in the nature of the game :wink:
design to your limitations
[/QUOTE]It must be so nice to be able to design a product around your current technical abilities. I sometimes consider getting into shareware just for that reason.
BTW, I currently do use perspective shadow maps, but am not particularly happy with them, but haven’t the time to re-address the shadow thing…like you say, it’s done, the manager’s fairly happy with it, move on to the next thing. But I don’t like leaving stuff ‘half finished’, as I consider a shadow pipeline with the problems/limitations of mine (and yours) is ‘half finished’.