3d Modelling HELP PLEASE!!! ARRGHH

a) you can’t spell, that should have been “you’re”.

b) that’s not the way to endear yourself to people and make them want to help you.

c) your request has nothing to do with opengl as far as I can tell, only to do with data structures and algorithms.

d) if you don’t want to write the source code yourself, do as people have suggested, and grab the source to an open-source modeling program.

e) if you do want to write the source code yourself, you’re going to need to know how to make something like a resizable array or a linked list. Your posts above hint that you don’t know how to do these basic things, in which case a “beginner’s C and algorithms” forum would be a more appropriate venue for your question than the “advanced opengl” board.

shanedudddy2, I must say that I’m little bit agree with OneSadCookie.

Do you know what is a linked list and resizable arrays ? Do you know how build such simple structures with template ? Do you know what are pointers ? Dow you know inheritance, polymorphism, and all other C++ concepts ?

If you don’t know one of this, simply start learning programming with one of the good books on the market. After that, by a good book on 3dcg coding. Only after that, try to build a first modeller, that you will delete and rewrite few month later, and do it again many times… Or call us to write it !

Regards, no offense,

Gaby

Originally posted by shanedudddy2:
[b]Thanks you all for giving me no help whatsoever.

Nobody seems to have the answer so I guess none of you guys really know or…

…YOUR ARSEHOLES[/b]

i’ve gave you the answer right at the top of the page how to have a structure that stores as much points and as much triangles as you want.

learn to read

and, in your logic:
YOU ARE AN *******

ARSEHOLES

Sorry, I prefer other parts of the (female) body, thank you very much.

I’m french and I have looked to the traduction of the word “ARSEHOLES”. Let say that you are a stupid men, shaneduddy, you are a looser. I’m shamed to have spend time to try to explain an interesting thing to a such immature men.

Gaby

sorry about last post I was just really angry that out of 19 or so answers 12 were complaining about me.

Sorry to all i`ve hurt.

davepermen do you think you could expand your code or add to comments to make it easier to understand thanks!

Look, what are you expecting from us? To give you the all one magical answer that will suddenly somehow magically give you many years of advanced experience of 3d coding and fill you with all the knowledge needed to write the next 3ds max? I mean come on man; you have more than enough info from all of us to do what you ask. If you still can’t do it then you are still too newbie to write such a thing.

This reminds me of posts I have seen not only here but also other places as well where someone asks something like this for example:

Q: “How do I draw an md2 model?”
A: “Here is a simple app I wrote which does this very thing. The url is: <insert url here>”
Q: “How do I draw an md2 model?”
A: “I just told you, here is my code which does this. <insert url here again>”
Q: “Damn it, how to I draw a freaking md2 model you idiots?”
A: “sigh”

Oh and about the “HUGE” size to the Aztec modeler, well I’m sorry but for real 3d apps such as this, you won’t get a mere 2 page program. It takes quite a bit to do things like this. Even a simple window with 4 view panes with grids that allows you to draw a simple cube with what ever dimensions you specify will take a lot more than a few lines of code.

I do remember a little 3d editor at some website called “The Cornflake Zone.” It’s simple, uses MFC and can draw simple and basic things. Maybe that will be your magical answer you are looking for.

-SirKnight

[This message has been edited by SirKnight (edited 12-23-2002).]

Originally posted by OneSadCookie:
[b]Step 1. Learn to program.
Step 2. Learn OpenGL
Step 3. Hard work
Step 4. Bug everyone on OpenGL advanced forum
Step 5. Modeller!

Please go back and do steps 1-3.[/b]

Actually you missed two steps

Step 0.5f. Learn how to use Google.
Step 0.75f. Learn how to look things up.

I have a co-worker that I supervise and he suffers from the same problem I see in this post. Rather than try something himself, rather than use what is given to him, rather than look for the answers himself, he just keeps asking until the exact answer is given to him. And I am seeing this here.

The really sad part of it all is, your problem is very, very simple. Even having not written such functionality you should be able to figure it out in a matter of minutes.

What you want to do is map screen coordinates to x,y,z. Presumably you have a quad view (or even a single view) which is displaying a view that is perpendicular to a plane (eg. x=0, y=0, z=0 are the standard planes).

The view(s) being displayed will have a scale that maps a single pixel/fragment to a unit of measurement. The standard is 1 pixel = 1 unit.

Given this, all you need do is map the x/y of your mouse click to the corresponding axes in the view that has been clicked.

For example, if you click at coord 100,100 and there is a viewport of x=0 that spans from 0,0 to 400,300 (quarter view), then you adjust your coords relative to the center of that view (assuming the view is based around the origin).

Your mouse click then becomes -100, -50.

Because you have clicked in the x=0 viewport we know that x=0 and the x/y translate directly to the z/y axes. This makes the coord of your new point x=0, y=-50 and z=-100.

You continue the process, creating a triangle out of groups of 3 points (you can decide how to do this, typically it is done by creating the points for the mesh and then selecting 3 points at a time, and then creating the triangle.

No I will not write the code for you.

Calling people names will get you nothing. Getting off your butt and trying will get you everything.