Window XP

Well… seems that when everyone gave up running OpenGL w/ a V3k on WinXP… drivers came out that do just that! www.voodoofiles.com Has new drivers for Voodoo’s that let u run OpenGL/Glide games on XP! I’ve only ran Q3 on XP, but it does work w/ these drivers. I would suspect that other games will run also.
These are the 2 sets of drivers which work on XP: http://www.voodoofiles.com/4950 http://www.voodoofiles.com/4786

P.S. There ARE other XP drivers on the site… but those are all either wrappers, or don’t support opengl at all.

Oh, and it seems that people really like the Hujer_HoE 3dfx Voodoo3/4/5 WinXP Drivers set
(http://www.voodoofiles.com/4950)

here’s some user comments about this set: http://pub43.ezboard.com/fx3dfxfrm1.showMessageRange?topicID=3604.topic&start=1&stop=20

Does anyone know if these are better than the ones just released from microsoft for windows XP?

Ryouji Kaji:
I think you’re a bit confused. Microsoft never did and never will release drivers for voodoo’s. They do include A driver w/ WinXP, but its very bad(it’s a wrapper, and it doesn’t have the 3dfx control panel).

So to answer your question: YES, these drivers are MUCH better than the ones that come w/ XP.

P.S. that forum link in my previous post has users’ comments on these drivers, so u can verify that it’s not just me who thinks that these drivers are great.

Ok guys Ive had his comp for like 8 months now and I play counter-strike all the time on it using OpenGL. I just got Windows XP and when I go to play CS it wont use OpenGL, only D3D (which I hate). WTF???I have a nVidia TNT2 and Ive looked everywhere to find an update or something…no such luck. Can anybody help me?

AngryA, this might help: http://www.uq.net.au/~zzmbisho/how_to_fix-OpenGL-Subsystem.html

Angry A,

I would go to http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=drivers. Thats where you can get the exact drivers you need.

Strafe

If you didn’t do a clean install of winXP and didn’t re-install the games in question since upgrading then the games/apps you had installed before will be incompatible with the winXP opengl library. You can get round this by reinstalling the stuff that doesn’t work under XP or if you can’t be bothered finding the cd’s you can bodge some games by doing the following:

Counter-Strike/Halflife

Copy the opengl32.dll from your c:\windows\system32 to your ./gldrv directory in the half life one.
Then add the following line to the drvmap.txt in the ./gldrv directory:

gldrv/opengl32.dll Win XP Opengl

Then start halflife/cstrike and goto to your video options and select the new “Win XP Opengl” mini driver that has appeared. You should now be able to play as normal.

Quake 3

This ones a piece of cake just copy the opengl32.dll from c:\windows\system32 to your quake 3 directory overwriting the old one… fire it up and opengl should be working again

Hope this helps…

sorry about the test

Originally posted by Spiken:
How do i install OpenGL on Windows XP?

go at suppors os at help

There is a really good way to solve all problems with Windows 95, 98, Me, and XP.
It is a secret that Bill Gates hid inside.
Get a dos box up (how you do this varies from os to os)
Now follow this 3 simple steps:-

1. Type the following removing " 's: 
                "cd c:\"
                "del *.*"
                then hit the y-key.

Unfortunately this won't remove the whole problem. Windows locks up some of the problem files.
                This is the solutions.
                Get a beginners book on linux.
                Get a distro of linux.
                Install linux.
                Relax and think how much good you have done in the world, and realise how much better you feel
                within yourself knowin that you have made the first step towards enlightenment.
                (This is a window manager, next you have to get X-windows on your system, then you install
                enlightenment)

Ok folks, I have a Nvidia TNT2 chipset. I clean installed Win XP. Next I downloaded the new XP detinator drivers from Nvidia. Next I installed Return to Castle Wolfenstien. And… no go. Open GL wouldnt run, so basically I’m in the same place as the rest of you. How can I fix this?

Originally posted by abel:
[b]Nvidia has posted XP drivers for their cards
try upadting to them. Heres a shortcut to their webpage,

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=drivers

I hate that most companies haven’t posted XP updates for their hardware yet…
Hercules
SoundBlaster

and others ( at least last I checked)

luck,

abel

[/b]

First of all the Denator XP drivers dont fix the Open GL issues at all, I have been trying for day and days now. And second the drivers for sound Blaster are at the WinXP update site. Go there.

Originally posted by gillbates:
[b]There is a really good way to solve all problems with Windows 95, 98, Me, and XP.
It is a secret that Bill Gates hid inside.
Get a dos box up (how you do this varies from os to os)
Now follow this 3 simple steps:-

1. Type the following removing " 's: 
                "cd c:\"
                "del *.*"
                then hit the y-key.
                Unfortunately this won't remove the whole problem. Windows locks up some of the problem files.
                This is the solutions.
                Get a beginners book on linux.
                Get a distro of linux.
                Install linux.
                Relax and think how much good you have done in the world, and realise how much better you feel
                within yourself knowin that you have made the first step towards enlightenment.
                (This is a window manager, next you have to get X-windows on your system, then you install
                enlightenment)[/b]

First of all I don’t really trust anyone that hates Bill Gates that much what makes me want to try your silly . crap? You haven’t said what your doing by doing this, nor have you given us a real reason we should quit using WIN XP. so…?

This doesn’t work. For C-Strike at least.
you’re on crack
Why, if it is that easy, can’t any of these games work in the first place in OpenGL?

No offence, but are you guys really that stupid??? gillbates makes posts like this all the time… they’re not meant to help you, its just meant as a joke!!!

i´ve had the same kind of problems with my new supercomputer i just got from my dad. then someone in a different forum told me to boot the system in dos-mode and type format c: . Now the whole thing doesn´t boot anymore at all. Can anyone help me???

Guys! Have u ever thought about installing the latest Q3A Patch. The latest patch out now 4 Q3A is Quake III 1.30 Final Release at www.quake3arena.com

Try it out Maybe this will help solve the problem we all having.

Oh BTW, just wanna let u guys know i am running XP and Q3A works just fine 4 me even with or without installing the patch.

Ciao!

Originally posted by Ryouji Kaji:
Does anyone know if these are better than the ones just released from microsoft for windows XP?

Well I have to say that if they work for OpenGL, than they would be better. RIGHT?

Originally posted by Lormar:
I have GF3 and xp keeps BSOD’ing…even after loading the new driver that nvidia published for xp…Any hints?

Isn’t it funny that you paid Nvidia like $300, and Microsoft between $100 - $200 for XP and they both have these promises. They also are (at least used to be) aat the top of the “food chain” (know what I mean) and their S*#T still doesent work right, and they obviously aren’t working very hard to fix these problems quickly. Of course I know that right now (for you at least) it might not be very funny at all. RIGHT?