Why my OpenGL program uses Microsoft GDI renderer instead of my GeForce 5200

I just installed Windows XP and a GeForce 5200 FX. My OpenGL engine used to use my old video card (GeForce 4 MX) to render, but with the new video card and OS it is defaulting to the Microsoft GDI renderer. What can cause this? Is there anything I should look to change in my code?

You should upgrade your drivers: the default drivers comming with XP are craps and they do not handle ogl very well.

The color depth of your desktop can cause this; I’ve seen this when it’s set to 16 bit colors instead of 32.

/D

Right. On a 16 bpp desktop you won’t get alpha bits in the framebuffer, and you won’t get stencil. If your application requests any of these, try without.

Yeah you’re not going to get alpha using a 16bit color but you can still get 8 bits of stencil with a 16bit color format that is accelerated. It’s format type 210 (R5G6B5A0 / Z24S8).

You might want to get this program I found on nehe.gamedev.net under the downloads section called “iGL” which is an OpenGL Information Viewer. It can show you all pixel format types and what’s accelerated and what’s not. It’s a neat program. It can tell you about everything you want to know about your graphics system (as far as OpenGL goes).

EDIT: Actually there’s more than just format type 210 that gives 8 stencil with 16bpp. Thanks to that program I was able to find that out. :smiley:

-SirKnight

It’s format type 210
AFAIK pixel format numbers are implementation-specific. Two video cards will likely not have the same list of supported pixel formats or enumerants. Pixel format numbers are also OS-specific (ie: Windows has them, Linux/X does not).

Thanks for all of your replies, the problem is solved now.

Originally posted by al_bob:
[quote] It’s format type 210
AFAIK pixel format numbers are implementation-specific. Two video cards will likely not have the same list of supported pixel formats or enumerants. Pixel format numbers are also OS-specific (ie: Windows has them, Linux/X does not).
[/QUOTE]Exactly, but since he is using windows and an nvidia fx card there wouldn’t be any problem looking up the format by that number I gave. But what I should have done is mentioned what you did in addition.

EDIT: Looking up in that program I talked about might I add. :slight_smile:

-SirKnight