WholeGL

Some people talked here about extensions loading and didn’t like the way it works.

For them, and for anybody interested, I’ve written a small glue called WholeGL. It can be found here .

With only one call, GLInitialize(driverName, caps*), you can load any OpenGL driver and all the extensions. The functions are then ready to use.

It has only been tested on Linux so far, so please tell me if it works on Win32!

Julien.

[This message has been edited by deepmind (edited 03-11-2002).]

but i think these people dont like glu too ?!?

I would suggest to call it glInitalize() instead of GLIntialize() because the uppercase GL is meant for the GL types.

Also, I wouldn’t recommend to use gl or GL as a prefix because it could be that the function will be ‘overwritten’ (ie. making your own function invalid because of the name clash) in a newer version of OpenGL.
(well, it’s not really likely to happen… but still… it’s no good practice)

And I can’t test it for you under Windows because I can’t visit your page (error)

Here is another one

https://sourceforge.net/projects/glex/

Any volunteer to implement glx part ?

Originally posted by richardve:
[b]I would suggest to call it glInitalize() instead of GLIntialize() because the uppercase GL is meant for the GL types.

Also, I wouldn’t recommend to use gl or GL as a prefix because it could be that the function will be ‘overwritten’ (ie. making your own function invalid because of the name clash) in a newer version of OpenGL.
(well, it’s not really likely to happen… but still… it’s no good practice)
[/b]

The other alternative would have been “wgl” like “WholeGL”, but it does already exist (WTF didn’t they choose glW, as for glX) ?
I don’t think I’ll ever write a function called GLfloat(), so there shouldn’t be any name conflict

The 0.3 release is out:

• GLInitialize() declaration was changed.
  • GLCheckCapabilities() has been introduced.
  • GLcaps structure now correctly filled.
  • Feature aliasing now works.
    Supported extensions are listed in the GL.c source file.

It has been tested on Linux and Windows 98.

Julien.

You could rename it to ezgl or something similarily flashy …
May seem insignificant, but I think it isn’t. You should definitely do something about it and not start your function names with gl or wgl.

I can already see the questions:
Hello … ? I’ve snagged a peice ofs ome suroce coude and I ca’nt compile it coz it sais som like ‘linker stuff error w glInitialize’. Have I wrong version of OpenGL? Where get new?

Hi
I tried WholeGL and and I like your solution, but what about GLU support? Also what about licence (GPL, LGPL, etc…). Also a suggestion for the prefix - in my OpenGL support library I prefix my own classes and functions related to OpenGL with Ogl…
however, keep the good work )
Regards
Martin

XGL (formerly WholeGL) v0.4 is out and fixes these issues, among other more annoying ones: Get it here .

When I have ten minutes to waste, I’ll certainly create a project on SourceForge, as there seems to be routing problems between many people and my domain .

Julien.