Which video card?

Hi all,

I have a dual boot Win98/Linux machine (850 Athlon), and need a video card upgrade, but I am unsure which 3D video card to purchase. I have seen some negative remarks about NVidia and some history with Linux(?). The Kyro II looks like an interesting card, however there does not look like there are any Linux drivers available. I am looking for something like a Ge Force 2 or Radeon. Which cards work best for 3D acceleration on Linux? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

No Kiro driver at the moment, right.
I would go for a geforce 2(mx) with NVidia’s drivers, well, if you accept to work under linux without opensource driver.

DO NOT make the fatal mistake of buying GeForceXXX. Go buy a RADEON, any RADEON, it doesn’t matter. It’s better plus u get OpenSource drivers for linux… NOW

Originally posted by malakas:
DO NOT make the fatal mistake of buying GeForceXXX. Go buy a RADEON, any RADEON, it doesn’t matter. It’s better plus u get OpenSource drivers for linux… NOW

hmm looks like someone loves flaming…
i’am pretty satified with nvidia drivers, working on machines with GF2, GF256 and GF2MX

The fact is that NVidia’s driver are commercial, which is not very compatible with the system’s idea of opensource and FSF.
Many people just can’t stand that and buy other cards that have free drivers.

I am confused about something. On the Xfree86 website, it says that version 4.1.0 has accelerated support for GeForce 2. Does Nvidia offers better drivers?

Yes, the NVidia drivers have more extensions and are faster than the DRI opensource drivers.

You can use the nvidia drivers, but DO NOT use it with redhat. Redhat was mostly compiled with beta cmpilers. I used to think the nvidia drivers were unstable, but it was actually redhat. I changed to suse 7.2 and everythng seems to work great

>No Kiro driver at the moment, right http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/21550.html
one moment, please

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.