Where to install if using unix through telnet

Hi There, I wish to make a ogl game for my major project at college, only catch is I have to use the unix os. Now if I use unix and I want to work on the game at home I have to connect to the server using telnet, does anyone know where I should download and install ogl to? My account directory at school? at home? where?

Any help is much appreciated, I am really confused

Corey,

Sounds like you have several options.

1.) Install it in your own unix directory at school. (Make sure that you are on the same system that you can telnet to. I have been in situations that the local system was Unix as well and hostname said I was on the central computer and I was not.)

2.) Have the system admin (root) install ogl in a directory that everyone at your school can program in ogl. This will save drive space if their are several users that are going to be using ogl.

3.) I am not sure if you have a slow dial-up connection to your school, but in the past I would have to code the program locally with a text editor I had on my own machine and FTP the file(s) to the server to execute them due to the network lag just to code your program on the remote sever was sluggish. If this is the case you may want to install Unix and ogl on your home system (Duel Boot) and be done with it. But remember to upload your files every time you finish your programming session.

It is basically what you want to put up with. Their is really no right or wrong answer as long as the progect is completed.

Howdy,

install linux ( / freebsd / whatever) on your home machine =) or, depending on the complexity of your project, code it under windows with Visual C++ / DJGPP / whatever and then just go into uni one day and copy the source over and recompile. or… run an x-server at home (exceed / excursion / whatever) and set your display to your home machine (setenv DISPLAY insertyouripaddresshere:0.0 on the uni machine)

cheers,
John

I didn’t think OpenGL worked on UNIX. I could be wrong, though.

OpenGL most certainly DOES work under unix. THere’s a whole forum to opengl under linux (a variant of unix). SGIs run Irix, a variant of unix…

Have a sniff around your system for MESA, It should be installed there already. Just include that in your compile path.

Have a sniff around your system for MESA, It should be installed there already. Just include that in your compile path.