What's up with the axis system

Sorry for my slow-ness today (hard week etc etc), but there is one little thing I find a tad odd.
Is it just me or is the Z-axis inverted? I haven’t noticed this before (only now I noticed when moving my object).

I mean, when the X+ is on my right hand side (and X- is on my left hand side), I EXPECTED the Z+ to be straight forward. No?

Am I right in this or is the hard work getting to me?
I haven’t done any calculations on this yet, but does this affect physics/display in any way?
Or am I completely missing the point and is this “normal”?

You have to types of axis systems, right handed and left handed.
I think openGL uses the right handed system

It you have not rotated the world or setup your projection funny.

the z axis is +z projecting out of the screen and -z is projecting into the screen.

In the physics, remain the same though you have to invert the z axis or others based on your view/ projection settings.

Originally posted by Structural:
[b]Sorry for my slow-ness today (hard week etc etc), but there is one little thing I find a tad odd.
Is it just me or is the Z-axis inverted? I haven’t noticed this before (only now I noticed when moving my object).

I mean, when the X+ is on my right hand side (and X- is on my left hand side), I EXPECTED the Z+ to be straight forward. No?

Am I right in this or is the hard work getting to me?
I haven’t done any calculations on this yet, but does this affect physics/display in any way?
Or am I completely missing the point and is this “normal”?[/b]

[This message has been edited by nexusone (edited 12-12-2002).]

[This message has been edited by nexusone (edited 12-12-2002).]