What should I know before I start with OpenGL?

I know the basics of C++
I used the tutorial on the site “cprogramming”

I’ve been struggling to comprehend the start up process for OpenGL. (Windows 8 / Visual Studio Express 2013)

I’m in the dark. I’m even having a hard time forming the right question.

I’ve attempted the “opengl-tutorial org” (the first tutorial)
And then got stuck on step 7 where it says “Click on Configure until all red lines disappear.”
For me, the red lines did not disappear : PasteBin 3KHLzsr4

What should I know before I even start with OpenGL?

Looking at the tutorial, you seem to be confusing “OpenGL initialization” with “tutorial setup.” They’re not the same thing. Your problem is with the tutorial’s setup system, with getting CMake to work for you. That has nothing to do with OpenGL itself.

CMake has a level of abstraction I don’t think I’m prepared for.
I should start with something else.

I opened up my other IDE Code Blocks and found “Start an OpenGL project”
This is great. I have a spinning triangle right now.

[QUOTE=MissionKMG;1264102]
I opened up my other IDE Code Blocks and found “Start an OpenGL project”
This is great. I have a spinning triangle right now.[/QUOTE]

Feels good, right? :slight_smile:

I just had a lot more satisfying success with installing/setting-up SFML & running a sample application.
I am new to Linking libraries and associating dependencies.

For further exercise I am now attempting to do the same thing with GLFW & GLEW.

At the moment I am stuck here. I am not sure if the block of red is bad or not. I’ve seen this before with the first tutorial I attempted, but this time I do not have errors in red text in the second box below. Am I good to go? What does the red mean in this case?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]884[/ATTACH]

Turns out it’s not bad. RED, how misleading.

[QUOTE=MissionKMG;1264130]I just had a lot more satisfying success with installing/setting-up SFML & running a sample application.
I am new to Linking libraries and associating dependencies.

For further exercise I am now attempting to do the same thing with GLFW & GLEW.

At the moment I am stuck here. I am not sure if the block of red is bad or not. I’ve seen this before with the first tutorial I attempted, but this time I do not have errors in red text in the second box below. Am I good to go? What does the red mean in this case?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1611[/ATTACH]

Turns out it’s not bad. RED, how misleading.[/QUOTE]

Just to specify, RED is the default behaviour of Cmake (what a beautiful design choice :confused: ).

Red indicates default values which may not be correct. Clicking the Configure button will update the values and change the display to white.

IOW, “red” isn’t “error”, it’s “you need to check this”.