what is the fastest way to draw text?

a lot of text(unicode,e.g.Korean) to display, with different fonts,size . and can be rotated.

I tried wglUseFontOutlines,but it is tooo slow.
what is the fastest way?
by the way, the os is windows .

Originally posted by Barbary:
[b]a lot of text(unicode,e.g.Korean) to display, with different fonts,size . and can be rotated.

I tried wglUseFontOutlines,but it is tooo slow.
what is the fastest way?
by the way, the os is windows .[/b]
Bitmap fonts are the fastest way I presume.

http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=13

Outlines put good stress on transform and geometry transfer. I’d guess textured quads might be better for nowaday HW, can’t guarantee though…

Make font texture and render texmapped quads. If you work in Windows and ou want high-quality font rendering take look for following WIN32 functions:

CreateFont - create choosen font
GetKerningPairs - gets kerning pairs
GetCharABCWidthsFloat - each char contins A (spacing before), B (width) and C (spacing after) values
GetGlyphOutline - retreive small bitmap for selected char. copy this bitmap into your texture.

If it’s too complicated for you, I can send you my font class. It supports different charset but I never test it with Korean charset.

yooyo

Textured quads are faster than any other method that I tested while writing a font rendering engine a while back. As a possible optimization to this, you can create a string texture cache that stores entire words, so you can render entire words/phrases with a single quad.

If you do a search though the old posts in this forum you should find 2 posts (about 1-2 years old) that dicuss character rendering in quite some depth).

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/henryj/code/#FTGL

it use freetype and some different Rendering modes supported are

Bit maps
Anti aliased pix maps
Texture maps
Outlines
Polygon meshes
Extruded polygon meshes

I’m feeling old.
I’ve lost count of the number of times this question has been asked over the years.
If it wasn’t for the fact that dorbie/davepermen/sirknight still frequent this forum, I’d start to get paranoid that I was stuck in a rut.

well, sometimes it is necessary that the old step aside so that the young ones can pass through.

but seriously- i don’t think a forum is a place in which every question should be answered only once. in some cases, it needs experience to see that two questions are basically the same.

Yeah, whatever.
We are talking ‘hello world’ here, not sub-surface scattering.