What could expect of OpenGL for the near future? (DLSS, rayTracing, ...)

The most recent version of OpenGL is 4.6, that was published in 2016, and since that date what we could to expect for the near future? I mean, of course, the new hardware features like DLSS or rayTracing

NVIDIA already said that they’re not making an OpenGL extension for exposing ray-tracing. Basically, they said that if you need ray tracing and OpenGL rendering, then use OpenGL/Vulkan interop.

Also, the fundamental flaws of OpenGL’s basic rendering model become more and more of an impediment to implementation as the nature of rendering changes. For some things (“mesh shaders”, for example), an OpenGL API makes sense. But not for others.

Basically, if you absolutely need access to all of the features of a GPU, then it’s time to start learning Vulkan.

1 Like

So, then, the only way to do that in ‘reasonable time’ is using DX12? because at the end, DX maintain a reasonable friendly API and vulkan need a more extensive work (and knowledment)

If you don’t feel Vulkan is doing a good enough job for you, then yes, you can switch to D3D12. Though to be honest, how you claim that Vulkan doesn’t have “a reasonable[sic] friendly API”, yet you seem fine with OpenGL baffles me… :wink:

1 Like

srry, I missed the correct words, probably I want to mean with “friendly” a collection of more high level API functions.

If ease of use is what you are looking then use OpenGL, it will always be available and kept up to date for the large portion of developers that don’t want to take the deep dive into Vulkan.

I don’t find Vulkan that friendly of an API, sure its fast but exposing features can be a nightmare in the amount of code needed to do which will inevitably introduce bugs and longer development cycles.

If you don’t need all the wiz bang features… take the OpenGL route.