Weird OpenGL behavior

Hi everybody!

I made a game using C++/OpenGL and the GLUT toolkit. I used an old slow pentium4 1.7Ghz/512Mb RAM laptop running XP SP2 as a development machine and the game runs great on that computer.

When I decided to try it on other machines, like a Core 2 duo 2.13Ghz/4Gb RAM running Vista , a brand new MacBookPro running Vista (boot camp) and a pentium 4 2.0Ghz running Windows 2000… The game was always incredibly SLOW!!! ???

In fact, my old laptop is the only computer that i could find that runs the game decently… ???

Does anyone know why this happens?? I don’t understand what’s different in my computer. Is it XP SP2?? I didn’t find another machine with XP to test. but it is really strange!!!

Thanks in advance!!

What graphic cards are present within the computers?

And what game is it ?
Did you install the video card driver (ie nvidia forceware, or ati catalyst, etc) ?

first of all, thanks for the answers!! :slight_smile:

The game consists in a editable 3D airport where a airplane crashed. The player chooses to drive an ambulance or a fire department truck and has to get to the crash site as fast as possible. The game features that might cause some slowdown are:
-custom phisics engine built by me
-particle engines
-openAL sound
-Windows video support (for the intro)
-Fog effects
-Lighting
-blended textured solids posing as light effects
-Importing 3DS models and milkshake 3D models

But all of this runs great on the slowest computer.

The computer in witch the game runs best has a crapy 5 year old ATI. and I didn’t even update the drivers.

The Core 2 Duo has a GeForce FX 8600 with the latest drivers

The MacBookPro has a GeForce too. latest drivers

The PII with Win2000 i don’t even know what card it has.

Any ideas??

Have a look at this thread. Could be related.

You might try to disable individual parts of the game to rule them out as being cause of the troubles. Because the game works good on old ATI card and bad on GeForce cards, it might be using something which causes sw emulation. Nvidia has GLExpert tool which is capable of reporting causes of sw fallbacks so you might want to check that.

Thank you so much! I will try that and post the results.

Cheers!!!

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.