We Want This First!

Why never going to happen plz?
Every 3-6 months, somebody comes into this forum asking, “I want to query X about the hardware.” And over and over, the same answer and explanation are given.

If you want to find out why, dig up some of the previous discussions on the subject; they’re all still just as valid.

ok, now the question why u got mad?

ok, now the question why u got mad?
You mean, besides, “Every 3-6 months, somebody comes into this forum asking, ‘I want to query X about the hardware.’ And over and over, the same answer and explanation are given?”

I just did a quick survey of all the threads here for the last 100 days. There are 20 threads.

Of these 20 threads, 3 (maybe 4) contain suggestions worth implementing and are capable of being implemented. That’s not even one quarter of the threads here.

There are more threads here that result from misunderstanding the GL spec (ie, asking for things that the spec already permits but may not be exposed in hardware) than there are substantive suggestions. There are more threads asking for (or verifying) functionality that has already been stated to be on the way for Longs Peak. And there are more threads that read like, “Hey, ARB, solve my problem for me,” rather than a reasoned suggestion.

This forum is rendered useless by all of the noise here. And this thread simply contributes to that noise.

Originally posted by glfreak:
Ummmm No.
OpenGL ES has a unified context manager. Such unified context manager is platform dependent in terms of implentation not the interface itself.

Not really. EGL requires window-system specific parameters in several places. For example, creating an EGL window surface requires the Windows / X11 / whatever window handle depending on the environment it’s implemented in. Likewise the EGLDisplay argument is obtained using platform-dependent identifiers of the display system, like an X Display.

I did write EGL to abstract as much as possible of this away, but there are a few irreducible platform dependencies. Also, if you want to support window-system specific concepts then window-system specific EGL extensions would be required.

Heh. Then lets do it the platform dependent way.

wgl, glX, and the mac gl, expose functionalities to allow for device caps queries and more control over render buffer formats.

Or at least, let every major 3d chip manufacturer creates their own API for device control.

Cheers!