Vulcaninfo error "Can not find 'layer' object in manifest JSON file"

Hi. I do believe this is the right place for this, but I apologize if it’s not.

Before I begin to explain my issue (which I will do to the best of my ability) I need to clarify I’m not even a novice regarding coding or delving this deep into issues. I’ve tried resolving the issue myself, but I’m unable to find anything about my problem, and because of my lack of knowledge regarding Vulkan and how it works I am unable to identify and learn from “similar” issues. I just needed to say that because I feel that this is not exactly a place for troubleshooting, but I wasn’t able to find another place to ask about this, so I apologize for my lack of knowledge and taking advantage of the forums in this regard. I’m pretty computer savvy, but not on a level beyond “I know how to take a deeper look and where things are, so I can apply a fix if I know what to do”.

Onto the issue. Somehow my Vulcan installation has something wrong with it, that much I know. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, any other drivers I thought may be conflicting and updating them, etc. The whole “something’s wrong, so I’ll try what usually works!” thing. Clearly, that didn’t help. I realized that I hadn’t actually opened Vulcan to see if I could identify the issue (at least by name, even if I don’t know exactly what it means) so I did, and it led me to open Vulcaninfo to see…y’know, the info. See what’s up, and all.

Vulcaninfo opens for about five seconds and then closes. I was able to get a screenshot of what it says, though, and it’s an error. It says:

WARNING: [Loader Message] Code 0 : loaderAddLayerProperties: Can not find 'layer' object in manifest JSON file C:\WINDOWSSystem32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0335706.inf_and64_f574b70641676099\B334987\amd-vulkan.json.  Skipping this file.

And then it closes.

I don’t really know what to do now. I’ve done a lot of looking around and I cannot for the life of me find anything about this or something that seems similar enough to help. I have searched in both exact and vague terms, here and in general. I have a feeling this is potentially a stupidly easy fix, but I don’t know. At least it’s not lines and lines of errors, I guess, but I’d like to fix this if possible. I can’t get games that use Vulkan to run, even though they did before (I unfortunately had not made a restore point before the issue began.) and this might not even be related to that.

I don’t know if this information is required, but it might not hurt to add that my processor is Vulkan-capable. It…wouldn’t have come with my drivers if it wasn’t, I don’t think? Anyway, thank you for reading this, and I profusely apologize if this doesn’t belong here. I’m pretty sure it’s okay, since I read all the forum rules and posting guidelines and all, but yeah. Thank you!

TLDR; I’m getting the above error and I don’t know what to do about it.

That warning sounds like a left over or wrong entry from a driver installation. Esp. the fact that there is a missing backslash between windows and system32.

Such layers are stored in the registry as implicit layers under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\Vulkan\ImplicitLayers

Check if the above json file name is listed there and if so, you can safely remove it and the warning should disappear.