Visual C++ Linking errors

I was wondering if anyone knew why after building a win32 console and ghanging the project settings, and the test file compiles fines, but when I try to build I get the following error:
/*
--------------------Configuration: test - Win32 Debug--------------------
Linking…
test.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol ___glutInitWithExit@12
test.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol ___glutCreateWindowWithExit@8
Debug/test.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

test.exe - 3 error(s), 0 warning(s)
*/
thanks

It is telling you the problem. So fix it by adding the glut32.lib!

If glut32.lib wasn’t added to the project it would give a lot more unresolved externals. Actually, glut.h uses pre-processor directives to add the library to the project for you, anyway. I think I’ve heard about this problem using Borland, where you have to #define GLUT_AT_EXIT_HACK or something like that. Never seen it with VC++, though. Maybe your headers and libraries are different versions?

Duh…
You need the glut32 libery.

I’ve also had the same problem. Of course you will need to use the Glut32.lib and I have but still the same 3 errors occur. Out of fustration I’ve compiled using all of the libs, open32, glut,glut32, etc but still I’ve had no luck.

Can anyone else help?

Cheers!

Press Ctrl+F7 and then press Alt+F7.
In page link and write glut32.lib.

As I already said above, he is probably already linking in the glut32.lib. There are two things that make me pretty sure of this.

First if he WASN’T linking it, he’d get a hell of a lot more linker errors.

Second, glut.h already links them for you. (At least it does if you use VC++, which he’s using.)

Take a look at the glut.h for a moment. You’ll notice some lines that look something like so…

#pragma comment (lib, “winmm.lib”) /* link with Windows MultiMedia lib /
#pragma comment (lib, “opengl32.lib”) /
link with Microsoft OpenGL lib /
#pragma comment (lib, “glu32.lib”) /
link with OpenGL Utility lib /
#pragma comment (lib, “glut32.lib”) /
link with Win32 GLUT lib */

Those lines will cause those libraries to be linked into the project for you, so you don’t even really need to put the libraries in the project settings.