Using OpenGL with a webcam??

I am a complete beginner with programming and OpenGL , but I am working on a project for class that involves both. I am wondering if it is possible to use the OpenGL language to control the operation of a simple usb webcam. If this is even possible where would be some good places to look for info?

Thanks for the help and support.

What do you mean with “OpenGL language” ? OpenGL is a library. If you mean “OpenGL shading language” (I guess no), it’s no.

Use a language as C and good libraries to control your webcam. Then you’ll be able to render what it gets with GL. Several programs under Linux to it this way (mostly xawtv).

you wouldn’t use opengl for controlling a webcam. opengl is for graphics and rendering. you might be able to control it using a language like c or java, but you aren’t going to be able to just do that with no programming experience.

Hi,

you can retrieve pictures from a webcam and use those pictures as textures in Opengl. If this is it what you might considered doing there are several ressources for this available.

cheers
Boim