Up and running? Very frustrating

I’m using Linux, and I’m trying to put GLUT togheter to work with. I’ve downloaded the sourcecode, but I can’t compile. It says that the gl/glu.h header file is missing. What should I do?

No need to compile from sources.Just find what package it’s contained in and install it.What distro are you running?

If you have an Nvidia card, go here and follow the steps for compiling and installing from the glut source. http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HO…figuration.html

Old GLman

I’m running a Mandrake 9 (Unstable kernel, ought!). Yep, I’m using a GForce2… I’ll try the link.

Remember linux is a bit diffrent then windows, you have to be exactly the same.
Like windows is / slash, linux is \ back slash.
On most windows compilers I think you can use ether slash for the include, but not on linux.

Also in windows case on a directory does not mater but with linux is does.

try this: #include <GL\glu.h>

Originally posted by mvendramini:
I’m using Linux, and I’m trying to put GLUT togheter to work with. I’ve downloaded the sourcecode, but I can’t compile. It says that the gl/glu.h header file is missing. What should I do?

[This message has been edited by nexusone (edited 03-07-2003).]

nexusone, you’re right about the case sensitivity.

But Windows uses back slashes and Linux slashes, not the other way around
(altough you can also use slashes in file names on Windows)

So to the topic starter: you should change it into #include <GL/glu.h>

Originally posted by mvendramini:

I had the same problem with Mandrake 8.2. The distro (I think) doesn’t contain the required headers. I solved my problem by downgrading to Red Hat 7.1. It contains the required headers, libraries and the Mesa library too. If u can get ur hands on something like this, it might solve ur problem. However, I don’t suppose u would like a reinstall of linux :-). In that case u can download the libraries (the compiled ones preferably) and install them yourself. Try out mesa3d.org or opengl.org or xmission.org(or com, i don’t remember).

I am running RedHat 8.0, but also have done some openGL work with 7.1

You can download the glut.rpm for redhat that is pre-compiled library. In which I did for Redhat 8.0

You may want to check and see it there is one for Mandrake, the rpm I have is for I386, I not sure of Mandrake support for rpm’s
But may work?

Originally posted by abhijeet_maharana:

I had the same problem with Mandrake 8.2. The distro (I think) doesn’t contain the required headers. I solved my problem by downgrading to Red Hat 7.1. It contains the required headers, libraries and the Mesa library too. If u can get ur hands on something like this, it might solve ur problem. However, I don’t suppose u would like a reinstall of linux :-). In that case u can download the libraries (the compiled ones preferably) and install them yourself. Try out mesa3d.org or opengl.org or xmission.org(or com, i don’t remember).

I was having the same problem the other day, having just set up my first Linux system with Red Hat 8 and wanting try out some GLUT programs I’d written… I was able to download the GLUT src RPM and install it fine (after installing the Nvidia driver and kernel patch…)

The GLUT RPM gave me the headers that I needed, but I was not sure how the makefile should be written. I ended up copying the GLUT source ZIP file from my Win32 box, unzipping that and doing “configure”, and “make all” commands. Everything build fine, right where I unzipped everything. I still had the original development headers located where the RPM had installed them, but now I also had complete demos, makefiles and the glut library itself built in a sub-directory off my home directory.

Hum, well… I’ve tried myself the other day under a Conectiva Linux 8 distro, and I had no problems with the glu.h header file.
I still didn’t it, but i’m coming to it. -I have to do it fast, i’ve activated a project in sf.net and let it paused for dev planning

However, my experience with mandrake was yet very frustrating, because I could not compile Mesa (not sure if it was Mesa, I’ve downloaded a bunch of rmps to work this out!) and the compiler said that the OpenGL stuff was missing! Maybe the driver? oh no, youll need the kernel driver man… ok, here’s the thing, but you do not have a stable kernel to install me, so go read a book with many pictures 'cause I hate newbies! (reference: the compiler diary)

BTW maharana, I was a windows programmer a few months ago, I’m very experienced in backing up data
Reinstalling won’t be that trouble

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.