Unashamedly OT ... This forum is SH#T

Originally posted by martin_marinov:
[b] This is maybe one of the most stupid things I’ve ever read here. Even wildeyedboy… can not compete with you…

[/b]

There we go again … one person making the same mistake we are trying to correct … One person who finds it hard to accept the fact that another person has the right to air his opinions …

martin_marinov all you had to say was “… I dont agree …” or something like that …

[This message has been edited by Olumide (edited 03-22-2002).]

i think a good idea for this forum would be a rating system for individual messages and users: if you read an post decide if it is offtopic (0points) or totally opengl related(10points), then the message is automaticaly moved to the correct forum, lets say all under 5 points to beginner and over to advanced … and after a while the person can see where the correct place for his message is … and thats the first suggestion for a rating system … lets say you rate a submessage, if it gets under 5 points its automaticaly removed… and so on …
but moderators are still needed (especialy they could close a thread so that no one can reply! this would stopp some ugly threads …) or they change the board in that form, that the thread creators can close their own thread !!!

Originally posted by T2k:
i think a good idea for this forum would be a rating system for individual messages and users: if you read an post decide if it is offtopic (0points) or totally opengl related(10points), then the message is automaticaly moved to the correct forum, lets say all under 5 points to beginner and over to advanced … and after a while the person can see where the correct place for his message is … and thats the first suggestion for a rating system … lets say you rate a submessage, if it gets under 5 points its automaticaly removed… and so on …
but moderators are still needed (especialy they could close a thread so that no one can reply! this would stopp some ugly threads …) or they change the board in that form, that the thread creators can close their own thread !!!

I like this idea. It was proposed earlier by Knackered with is “crap button”

That’s too complicated.
What we need to do is come to a general opinion about what is and is not acceptable in the forum, and back each other up when one of us points out the inappropriateness of a particular post to someone - not start calling someone unhelpful, and then proceed to answer the inappropriate/offtopic question…it does nobody any favours.

Originally posted by Olumide:
[b] There we go again … one person making the same mistake we are trying to correct … One person who finds it hard to accept the fact that another person has the right to air his opinions …

martin_marinov all you had to say was “… I dont agree …” or something like that …

[This message has been edited by Olumide (edited 03-22-2002).][/b]

Olumide,
It seems you are arguing where the line is drawn. There is a huge difference between
“I don’t agree with you because you are stupid” and “I don’t agree with you because what you said is stupid”.

Originally posted by Coconut:
Olumide,
There is a huge difference between
“I don’t agree with you because you are stupid” and “I don’t agree with you because what you said is stupid”.

Whatever be the case, the fact remains that the word stupid is not very polite and should only be used when hurt is intended …

That’s your opinion, Olumide - I’ve behaved stupidly in the past, and never considered it impolite when someone called me stupid, so long as they justified it. You’re too sensitive for this world.

[b] Whatever be the case, the fact remains that the word stupid is not very polite and should only be used when hurt is intended …

[/b]

May you suggest an alternative word to “stupid”?

Does anyone here read www.slashdot.org? they a have a very useful moderator system where forum users can “mod up” or “mod down” any particular forum post. I believe that it creates a very clear system where people posting off topic or previously discussed issues get moderated down and those that are using the forum in its intended manner get moderated up. People that post rude answers to newbie questions get moderated down- since that is even more off topic than the newbie question and the clear answer to their question gets moderated up for easy location. And the source code for “slash” (as their forum software is called) is open source. I suggest that we petition opengl.org to adopt it.

About the only addition to the slash logic that I would advocate is an auto search engine query that runs on all posts when they are submitted- that search would present the poster with previous threads that may discuss their issue. Then they can examine those and add references to them in their post to make clear in their question that they have examined the archives and their question differs from previous threads for the following reasons. It may be more work, but those that follow the “previous threads reference” guidelines would be moderated up by all the frequent forum users.

You have to admit, that 60% of the questions posted on this part of the message board are already answered in the forums. Seems the rest are either OT, way OT, or in the rare case a good question. If users would search, rather than post, it would help, although a moderator would help more.

It also seems like your screwed if you reply to a OT post or not, if you don’t reply, they cry that you are ignoring them. If you do reply, then they cry about the info you give them. Perhaps if they took the initiative to do some research first it would help–or is that asking for to much?

I don’t think flames are appropriate in the BEGINNERS forum (unless they request it ), but they are appropriate in the ADVANCED forum, since if we don’t have some type of control, then the ADVANCED forum will turn into a BEGINNERS forum, and that is something we do NOT want. That is the whole purpose of having different sections, instead of having 1 board where anything goes.

[This message has been edited by Elixer (edited 03-22-2002).]

The problem is that we have separate forums for beginners and advanced user, which is bad. It just has the effect that newbies get helped by newbies when they really would need to get helped by someone with more experience.

I don’t agree Humus. A lot of advanced people are also answering questions in the beginners forum. I usually read topics from both forums and answer what I can (although I’m not very advanced, I must say…).
Sometimes I have to ask questions in one forum OR in the other, cause I may know more or less about different topics.

So why not throw this together and make forums called “lighting” “textures” “pixel shaders”.

Yeah, maybe it could be a good idea, Kilam.

-nemesis-

Whatever be the case, the fact remains that the word stupid is not very polite and should only be used when hurt is intended …

Olumide is right. Calling people names (or their ideas stupid) is indicative of just how immature you are. It has no place in a professional setting (although sadly I’ve seen managers who have done both).

I have no problem trying to chase away the beginner postings from the Advanced forum. Only with the manner in which many people here do so. Saying “you dumbass, don’t post you’re stupid question here until you read x” is inappropriate. I’m all for whatever system we come up with that will improve this. In the meantime, anytime I see a reply like the above, I’m going to provide a useful answer.

Now, since we do have a lot of OT posts like “where can I get models from?”, or “How do I write a routine to read bmp files?”, maybe the boardmaster can add a forum such as OpenGL-RELATED, or even OpenGL-OT. I’ll be happy to answer questions there and not here.

Originally posted by painterb:
[b] Olumide is right. Calling people names (or their ideas stupid) is indicative of just how immature you are. It has no place in a professional setting (although sadly I’ve seen managers who have done both).

stupid question here until you read x" is inappropriate. I’m all for whatever system we come up with that will improve this. In the meantime, anytime I see a reply like the above, I’m going to provide a useful answer.
[/b]

It must be my mistake.
I did not know this is coding rofessional forum, so people should only post professional contents here. Glad I did not call anyone or anything stupid here.
BTW, where is the forum for the coding:unprofessional people? I am curious to know what they would talk about OpenGL coding.

Painterb, have you been called stupid quite a lot?
What is your definition of ‘professional’? Is it people who conduct themselves in the same manner as you?
I don’t care what people say to offtopic/beginner posters, so long as the message is loud and clear - “do not post things like this again - post them here”.

Calling people immature is immature. Calling people unprofessional is very unprofessional. The professional thing to do would be not to comment on the nature of someone elses response, or maybe re-iterate the point which you apparently agree with.
I’m a professional, and there’s nothing I’ve said in these forums that I wouldn’t say to someone in my every-day professional work life (wanna come work with me? )- and I’d expect people to take my criticism in a professional manner - ie. not to winge about it.

Check it out, you can reply to this post without using the word “stupid”

Originally posted by ND:
the problem of this forum is the presence of NVIDIA employees.

Why?

it is a paradox but it is the true.

A paradox, by definition, cannot be true. So, either what you say is not a paradox, or it cannot exist in a logical universe (i.e. it’s false).

Infact It should be a good thing, because it could be an opportunity to learn from one of best opengl drivers maker.

I agree, and this is what I have found to be the case.

but It doesn’t happen, because their intention is to PROTECT Nvidia mark not to divulgate their knowledge (oh yes sometime they simulate).

If you don’t mind me disagreeing, I think that they have “divulgated” a huge amount of useful knowledge, and it wasn’t just a simulation.

How?

they apply a fine strategy. They drive this forum answering with laconic words marking Good and bad posters. Yes you are good and I respond you…no you are not you don’t merit my attention.

In case you haven’t noticed a pattern, they tend to respond to posts that they are uniquely qualified to respond to, and not too much else. For instance, they will almost always reply to posts about potential driver bugs or concerning papers that they have written. On the other hand, they tend to shy away from most of the recent off-topic, flame-ridden posts that have become so common lately. Filtering this way saves their time so that they may have some sort of life outside of this board.

There isn’t any idea of community in this forum, it has been corrupted .

Solution : moving on other FREE forum and newsgroups.

You’re sentence implies that this is not a free forum. Do you mean free as in speech or free as in beer? Either way, this place seems to be both and I am grateful for it.

Perhaps this link http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html should be required reading or linked to from the top of the forum, right next to a large search button. Maybe have people take a test on it before being given a username and password.

At any rate, if the board does decide to go with moderators, I would volunteer.

– Zeno

you dumbass, don’t post you’re stupid question here until you read

No no no, you should bring it more carefully, like this:

Attention you moronic M$-lover,

You are being contacted because you started an offtopic thread.
To repent, you must learn to correctly use a bulletin board and send Bill Gates hate mail.

In closing, I’d like to say you’re an idiot.

Regards,
Richard

To be somewhat more serious, have a look at the OpenGL section at Gamedev.NET , all questions are like “creating a simple 3D modeller, how to make the window?”, “Rotating an object around a point” and “Mixing Texturing and Lighting”

That’s NOT what this forum should be (imho).
But it’s getting more like that every day…

Not only that, some of the new people are also posting everything twice (aka crossposting)
Also, they’re not taking the time to do a little research by themselves.
(according to the one-line questions)

Having a question?
Oh well, let’s just post it, I don’t have time to solve this on my own (what? programming takes time to learn?? Man, you’re not serious about that are you?)

This is the reason for my more or less flame-like-posts… I saw the same happening to GD.NET some years ago, and it will also happen to this board if nobody makes it stop. :stuck_out_tongue:

[/rant]

Zeno, congratulations - not one ‘stupid’, but at the expense of a fair amount of text, and probably a lot of your time.
What is the definition of a ‘flame’? I’ve always been curious…people seem to be bandying the word around completely out of what I consider its context.
Is disagreeing with someone ‘flaming’ them? Or is it if the word ‘stupid’ is used in the reply?

Originally posted by Zeno:
A paradox, by definition, cannot be true. So, either what you say is not a paradox, or it cannot exist in a logical universe

You’ve been waiting for that ever since choosing your username, haven’t you? :slight_smile:

Perhaps this link http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html should be required reading or linked to from the top of the forum, right next to a large search button.

In theory, absolutely. In practice, the people who most need to read it are exactly the people who never, ever will. Unless we just start keeping the whole essay in our clipboards and pasting it into replies to OT posts.

Fully agree about the presence of IHV guys, including 3Dlabs who didn’t get mentioned earlier (we love ya barthold!). They’re most definitely an asset. Since their posts are bound to be slightly coloured I’ve sometimes thought it’d be nice to have little badges in their usernames (e.g. Fred[ATI] or Bob[NV]), as some of them do, but you don’t need to hang around very long to work out who’s who.

I’d also be happy to moderate (I’m no GL expert, but I think I know enough to make a reasonable guess at where to draw the line) - anyone know if the UBB software supports moderation?

Calling people immature is immature. Calling people unprofessional is very unprofessional.

This is funny. I actually didn’t call anyone immature or unprofessional. Rather I just made a statement. It’s a case of “if the shoe fits…” Apparently for you, it does.

Painterb, have you been called stupid quite a lot?

And now … to get back to the personal attack. No. Why, have you? Grow up. (To say anything further will only result in a pissing contest, and so I will bite my tongue.)

You’ve been waiting for that ever since choosing your username, haven’t you? :slight_smile:

laugh In my day, we didn’t have logic. All we had were paradoxes. Hell, every time I took a step I thought the universe would self-destruct. Kids are spoiled these days with their calculus and sums of infinite series. What will they come up with next?

Originally posted by MikeC:
In practice, the people who most need to read it are exactly the people who never, ever will.

Unfortunately, you’re probably right. Moderation may be the only way to go

– Zeno