Trouble getting GLUT to work on Ubuntu x86_64

Uname: 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:05:01 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Version: Ubuntu 9.10

Issue: Display errors using GLUT under Ubuntu 64bit

I wasn’t sure if this should go into the GLUT section or the Linux section…

So… I’ve been doing glut programming here and there on Windows / Fedora and yet to have a problem… but I can’t seem to get it to cooperate under Ubuntu 64 bit… Although I’m not entirely sure whether it’s GLUT or X11.

I’ve got:
libGL.so.1.2
libGLU.so.1.3.070600
libGLEW.so.1.5.1
libglut.so.3.8.0

All of which are ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped.

And all the headers that came with them. Trying to run a simple app that creates a black window (that works on Windows / Fedora) seems to try to create something… an item appears in the bottom panel and I can select “move”, but the window is never visible.

When I compile / execute this:

http://www.opengl.org/resources/code/samples/redbook/aaindex.c

App straight out of the gl red book online, I get the following error:

freeglut (./sampleApp):  ERROR:  Internal error <Visual with necessary capabilities not found> in function fgOpenWindow
X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  4 (X_DestroyWindow)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  31
  Current serial number in output stream:  34

Again, this code compiles and executes fine in Windows / Fedora, so I’m not sure what the issue is… anyone else run into this?

I suspect your hardware/GPU does not support index mode.

Is this running fine on the SAME hardware ie are you setup with a dual boot machine?

Check that some other GLUT-based programs work, the issue probably is specific to that particular program.

Well as said marchats, just dump index mode…