Tiling rectangles and overlaping them with for-loop

I’m currently working on a shader to draw a dynamic grid of rectangles in GLSL. My goal is to create a pattern where each rectangle can be larger than its tile, allowing it to overlap with neighboring tiles. I’m using the fract function to tile coordinates (e.g., fract(coords * tile)) for tiling these rectangles.

The challenge I’m facing is managing the performance and complexity of the shader. I end up drawing many rectangles, including those that are not large enough to overlap with their neighbours. This seems inefficient, especially when I adjust the rectangle sizes and the tile count dynamically the frame-rate drops significantly.

I’m looking for a way to limit the drawing to only those tiles where the rectangle is large enough to exist in the current tile. I think there should be a way to start my for-loop from the tiles where rectangle exist (overlaps with the current tile) and end if it gets too small to overlap.

Maybe there is a more efficient approach to ensure that only rectangles large enough to overlap with neighbouring tiles are drawn?

Here is a simplifid code that I have now:

float box(in vec2 coords, in vec4 size, in vec4 blur){
    size = vec4(0.5) - size*0.5;
    vec2 uv = smoothstep(size.xy, size.xy+blur.xy, coords);
    uv *= smoothstep(size.zw, size.zw+blur.zw, vec2(1.0)-coords);
    return uv.x*uv.y;
}

//out vec4 fragColor;

void main(void){
{
//variables   
    vec2 coords				=	gl_FragCoord.xy;
	vec2 tile				=	vec2(8, 4);
	vec4 rectSizeR			=	vec4(0.1);
	vec4 shapeBlurR 		= 	vec4(0);
	vec4 color 				= 	vec4(0.1);

coords = coords * tile.xy;    
    vec2 index = floor(coords);  
    coords = fract(coords);

for (int i = int(-tile.x); i <= int(tile.x); i+=1){
		for (int j = int(-tile.y); j <= int(tile.y); j+=1){	
			vec2 loopCoords = (vec2(i,j) + coords);
			color.r += 0.3 * box (loopCoords, rectSizeR + abs(0.1 * vec4(index.xy-vec2(i,j), index.xy-vec2(i,j))) , shapeBlurR);
		}
	}

gl_FragColor = vec4(color);

}

Thank you in advance for any guidance or advice you can provide!