The next pipeline...in the pipeline?

(I know this isn’t the right forum, but there isn’t a general discussion one)

Not to be impatient but I was wondering if the next issue of the pipeline is on it’s way any time soon?

(After a bit of poking about, it appears it is in the pipeline…)

Regards
elFarto

What pipeline?

What pipeline?
Propably the OpenGL Pipeline Newsletter.

As it has a quarterly schedule, I’d expect it in about a month :wink:

The last one was from November, so one is due out this month.

Originally posted by Korval:
The last one was from November, so one is due out this month.
Yeah, when I said ‘it is in the pipeline’ that really means, I’ve just finished reading it :wink: .

Regards
elFarto

I thought you were talking about the graphics pipeline ^^

Link: http://www.opengl.org/pipeline/vol003

And looky here: http://www.opengl.org/sdk/
(The reference pages are sweet :cool: )

Edit: cool!

Originally posted by caveman:
And looky here: http://www.opengl.org/sdk/
(The reference pages are sweet :wink: )

OOooo, when I tried it yesterday it was still protected.

Regards
elFarto

I’m glad you like them! The rest of the SDK could stand to remain in the incubator a little while longer, but I didn’t want to hold up release of those man pages…

I’m considering adding man pages for a few misc. extensions that aren’t part of core GL yet, like ARB_texture_float, ARB_texture_rectangle, and EXT_framebuffer_object. I have to write these for the next edition of the SuperBible, anyway. Do you think it would be confusing if some random extensions were thrown into the mix with all the core entrypoints?

-Benj

OOooo, when I tried it yesterday it was still protected.
I’ve been out of the loop, so I didn’t even know it existed yesterday :wink: I’ve got a lot of catching up to do…

Originally posted by Benj @ AMD:
Do you think it would be confusing if some random extensions were thrown into the mix with all the core entrypoints?
Nope, as long as they are clearly marked that they are from an extension, and what extension it’s from.

Regards
elFarto

No objections here either.

Big thanks for all the hard work!

Originally posted by Benj @ AMD:
[b]
I’m considering adding man pages for a few misc. extensions that aren’t part of core GL yet

-Benj [/b]
It would be very nice, but I would also like to see the version marking for core functions and maybe tokens (i.e. when it was added to the core)

In the Notes section of each reference page, it tells you which version of OpenGL is required, and also mentions if there are any tokens that require a specific version. (Features available from the beginning of time in OpenGL 1.0 don’t bother wasting space with this info.)

For example, looking at the glBindBuffer page, it says:

Notes

• glBindBuffer is available only if the GL version is 1.5 or greater.
  • GL_PIXEL_PACK_BUFFER and GL_PIXEL_UNPACK_BUFFER are available only if the GL version is 2.1 or greater.

Does that meet your needs? I would do the same with extension entrypoints and extension tokens.

big thankyou to all involved
a small request (not to important)
but with the pipeline newsletter is it possible for the whole thing to be contained in a pdf

Great work !
And well polished : I love the “open in new tab” stars, and the MathML for ref. pages.

The best page I read on pros/cons on centroid vs. pixel center sampling.

/me goes back to all this and continues reading… :cool:

Originally posted by zed:
big thankyou to all involved
a small request (not to important)
but with the pipeline newsletter is it possible for the whole thing to be contained in a pdf

As you may have noticed from the last two editions, this is usually the case. Unfortunately our crack team of desktop publishing artisans are busily working on posters for the Khronos booth @ GDC. So the PDF will be available, but not for a few more days.

I had to choose between waiting for the PDF or getting this info out to the community sooner. Tough choice, since I prefer reading the PDF, too!

-Benj

@Benj @ AMD:

You are right, I haven’t noticed… But for example, glBlendEquation has no version information, and it was added in 1.2 as far as I know…