Textureunits

Hi

I have a Geforce 2 Ti, which has 2 texture units. However i think of doing some stuff, for which i would need more textureunits (textureanimation, etc.).
So, of course, i have to do multiple passes. However i still need more than 2 texture coordinates per vertex. So i wonder, if OpenGL supports more texture coordinates per vertex, than the gfx card supports texture units.
That means: If i enable texture unit 3, does this mean, that my gfx MUST have more than 2 units? Because if i have ONLY TU 3 enabled, than the card could use TU 1 internally.

Or should i just put all my vertex coords into memory, and swap the pointer to it, each time i draw another pass, so that i always use TU 1?

If anyone has a better idea, how to do this, please let me know.

Jan

opengl is not limited to what the graphics card has. It can do anything in software mode. There is a query function I think it’s something like

GLint val;
glGetIntegerv(GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS, &val)

that will tell you what the maximum is. If it returns 2, then that’s all you have.

This will return 2 for a GF2 GTS .

Diapolo

If you use multiple passes, you can pass different texture coordinates in the different passes. However, any LockArraysEXT() optimization you’ve done may or may not still be valid if you re-specify the TexCoordPointer().