TextCoords whithout textures

Hi all,

I juste would like a thing…

I made a cube in 3DSMax, with just a color, no texture. I’ve seen in the DirectX user guide that textures coords are used only when a texture is define.

So, why the textures coords are define in the DAE file after export? for what that is used?

Because after parsing, I have to test each vertex if he a same (only position and normals) is present to know is a have to create a new vertex or just specify an index of an already exiting, and it is very low…

Thank you

Aurélien

So, why the textures coords are define in the DAE file after export? for what that is used?

In case you want to add a texture with another tool, outside of Max. Or in case you want to use that information for other purposes. If the information is exported, it has been created. So the question is: Why did you create those if you do not need them.

But anyway, it is really easy to write a conditoner to get rid of those textures. so you can pre-process the data that comes to you and make sure it will work well and fast in your application. The data may come from Maya, or Blender or SketchUp, and have many UV coordinates or other stuff :slight_smile:

Because after parsing, I have to test each vertex if he a same (only position and normals) is present to know is a have to create a new vertex or just specify an index of an already exiting, and it is very low…

I do not understand that part.
the <accessor> has all the information you need to correctly parse the data ?

Thank you very much, I’ll try the conditioner soon :slight_smile:

I also would like why the semantics are not in a enumeration in the Collada DOM library? It’s better to compare two enum values than two string…

Have you got an example of import of a Collada DOM object in DirectX? Because I tried some methods, some technics, and I don’t know really how is the better way (fast in parsing, fast after parsing, and generic)

Thanks,

Aurélien

(sorry for my bad english)

That is true but it is a string because that is what the schema says it is. The datatypes and elements in the COLLADA_DOM are generated from the COLLADA schema.
The other reason they stay as strings is that COLLADA allows inputs with semantics other than COLLADA common semantics. This allows tools to add any information that is needed. For example, more vertex info by using an <input semantic=“moreInfo” …/>

-Andy

I fact, a Microsoft Engineer posted some information and source code on his blog on how to use COLLADA and DirectX. What’s more intringing about it, is that he is posting in French, which I guess would work fine for you given your signature name :lol:

http://blogs.msdn.com/guillaumerandon/a … 68182.aspx