texelFetch() + modulo or texture() + GL_REPEAT

Hello,

I need to use the texelFetch(…) function in my shader to get a single pixel of a sampler2D of size S. Unfortunately, when I compute the texture coordinate T, the result is not normalized between 0 and S-1 and I have to do a modulo to normalize it (T %= S). Then, I can use the texelFetch function.

The modulo operation is quite slow on GPU, especially because I do an intensive use of it ! So, a better idea was to set the GL_REPEAT flag to perform texture lookup with unnormalized texture coordinate. AFAIK, the texelFetch function does not support unnormalized texture coordinates.

So, I tried to use floating-point texture coordinates with classical “texture(…)” function to do a texture lookup. The conversion from integer coordinate to floating-point coordinate is done by :

fcoord = vec2(icoord+0.5) / S

where S is the size of the texture and icoord, the unormalized integer texture coordinate. The texture lookup can be done then using the floating-point coordinate with the “texture(…)” function.

The result is not identical between texelFetch(…) (i.e. integer texture lookup) and texture(…) (i.e. floating-point texture access).

Do you think the mapping from integer to floating-point texture coordinates is wrong ? Or, is there a way to use the GL_REPEAT from texelFetch (meaning without modulo).

Thanks a lot,
Jérôme

There can be rounding errors in case of the normalized texture coordinates (due to the normalization process) but those should not produce any visual artifacts if you use NEAREST filtering.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.