Testers wanted ...

Don’t know if you’re still looking for feedback, but…

works on my PII-400/128MB/8mb G200 running NT4 SP5

HOWEVER…very slow, even w/ Stencil disabled. I’m guessing my system is just lacking these days. I didn’t realize how far behind I had fallen until I saw everyone else’s replies to this(dual pIII-600. Sheesh!)

I’m happy with all feedback i can get. I have tracked and removed 3 big bugs which in the beginning made it work only with 3DNow capable processors under Win9x and with graphic adapters supporting the swapcontrol extension. Now those limits is gone, thanks to all you guys helping!

… and yes, i guess it may be a little slow on your system, my Athlon 500 + Matrox G400 gives about 30 fps in 800x600x32. So, i’ve still some work to do …

Drumminj, my Dual Pentium III 600Mhz is not really MY computer : it’s the one I have at the office !!! I could not afford buying one of those myself…

Eric

Eric - I’m curious what it is you do that requires(or rather justifies) that kind of machine?

Sorry Humus!

I actually don’t know witch version I grabed, but it is crashing on my system
(win 98, Riva TNT, latest detonator, P2-400 (single), UW-SCSI on board).

Proably it is an old verion of your software.
But I noticed that you use the devmode trick (leaving my desktop at 800x600 after the your programm crashed).

Well, of cours YOUR programm will NEVER crash, bbut personaly I did it exactley the same way, and my customers almost KILLED me, I am using DirectX now to perform the fullscreen switch,

(Just an advice)

Kind regards,

LG

Sorry guys, i’ve been away some time and haven’t been able to answer to your replies …

lgrosshennig, you say you don’t know which version you grabbed … if the latest version doesn’t work for you, plz let me know.
But i don’t think i’ll use DX to switch screenmode, but i could of course do some better error handling …

Hi Humus!

Stupid me! Looks like I tried your first version! The current one works just fine!

My regards

LG

And my the vector be with you!

oki … great!

I don’t know if you need anymore feedback, anyway looking this thread, I downloaded the demo and tested it… and it’s working fine:
double pentium III 500MHz, 256M, Elsa Synergy II-32M
even at 1600x1200 it’s working ok while slower :wink:
Pierre

Nice!

Hey HUMUS,

It works great on my PII 266, with a TNT2 Ultra 32MB card and running WIN98 SE.

Great!

Is there nobody with another card than TNT/TNT2 that wants to test? I’d like to know if it works on 3dfx/ATI/S3 cards too …

Hey Humus, only nVidia cards are sold nowadays ! ( )…

Eric

To drumminj : I am mainly developping 3D-Apps that need to display an awful lot of polygons…

One of my apps is a Post-Processing tool for CFX (a CFD package) and you quite often have more than 500000 cells (cubes) in that kind of model… Moreover, as a post processor, you do not only use the geometry but also the data which means, for example, more than 500000 velocity field vectors to display and so on…

Another of my apps is a 3D-Modeller/Viewer (the one I keep talking about in this forum !) which mainly enables us to navigate our clients in what they want to build before it actually is… We build almost everything using AutoCAD/3DS Max and then my Modeller loads/optimizes the models and exports to the viewer… Needless to say I try to be as close to 3DS Max as I can (visually) but keeping a real-time frame rate. And you need a damn fast machine for that…

The last program I work on is an evacuation software : you create a building in 3D (using AutoCAD/3DSMax as well) and you put people in there. You start a fire or whatever incident in the building and you look at people’s behaviour… Here, two majors problems for the computer : 1) It has to display the model and people ; 2) It has to calculate people’s behaviour…

You know everything now (well, almost but I don’t want to bore everyone !).

To be honest with you, this machine is not quite as powerful as I need… Perhaps a Dual Pentium III 800Mhz (if it exists) or a future Dual 1Ghz with a GeForce2GTS (or its successor) will satisfy me ! (but my boss will never buy it ! ).

See ya !

Eric

hi humus,
your app runs slow over here (1-2 fps),
i have a pII and a old ATI 3D 8meg

sebastian:
Have you tried with stenciling disabled? If not, set USESTENCIL=0 in the ini-file and see if the framerate gets better.

Eric:
Yes, i know nVidia is quite popular these days, especially among OpenGL programmers since they have the best OpenGL support and best performance (but not so good visual quality compared with Matrox & S3), but actually ATi is the one who sells best (they almost own the OEM market …), so i would be glad to see how (or if) it works with those cards too.

Sorry Humus,i forgot to mention that
i tried with and without stenciling…

actually,i doesn’t make a difference, i get the same speed( relatively slow…)

i think i’ve got some problems with driver and card anyways ( i’m kind of interested in OpenGL,but i hate to care about this stuff)

i could try your app on my girlfriends’ card if you are interested,i think it’s a Intel or something…

Yes, it would be great if you do that. Even though intel cards isn’t very common it’d be intresting to know anyway if it works with it too.

Tried it on my computer, have a TNT card so i don’t have to say anything, just read the posts above

Also tried it on another computer with ATI rage pro (PII 450, Win98)… and it ran in about 3-5 spf (yes, seconds per frame)… Tried to change resolution, fullscreen, vsync, stencil and filtering, but no success And I do have new drivers.

Hmmm … that’s not fast … i’d guess that the card doesn’t render anything at all, it must be all software rendered to get that slow … well ATi isn’t known for their OpenGL support (or should i say unsupport (is there such a word?)) …