Tangent & Binormal not exporting on 3D Studio MAX 2009

Hi all

This is my first post here, and i dont know if i post it on the correct sub-forum, feel free to re-alocate it :slight_smile:

Well, i used Collada exporter for 3D Studio MAX 9 and there was no problems exporting data with tangents and binormals, but now, i changed to 3D Studio MAX 2009 and when i mark the ‘check’ for tangents/binormals’ nothings happen, all models are exported without tan/binorm information.

What i making wrong ? Is there any issue related to this ??

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

LLORENS

Hi LLORENS,

Could you let me know which plug-in that you are using now? Is it from feeling software one or new Net Allied next gen? That will help us a lot for testing the problem. And also could you provide the 3D Max sample file for us to reproduce the error if permitted?

My email address is wei.l.guo ‘at’ intel.com

Best regards,

Wei

Hi Wei

I first downloaded the pluguin taged with ‘NEWCOLLADA’, and as i mention, none of any 3D object i can made in 3D Studio exports with tangent and binormal information, its like the exporter doesnt have this function activated.

Then, i search a little in sourceforge and i downloaded another Collada exporter, this, in 3D Studio, is taged with ‘COLLADA’ ( i think, i dont remember now ), but this exporter can export tangents and binormals, so now im runing with this pluguin instead of other.

Its ‘NEWCOLLADA’ exporter finished ? or there are some features that doesnt are implemented yet ?

Thx for your time and help

LLORENS

The Nextgen 0.8.2 plugins for Max and Maya are still in beta. You can report beta bugs to this sourceforge tracker

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_i … id=1088677

The Tangent and the Binormal are not stored within 3ds Max. Typically they have to be calculated by the exporting process. In the lifecycle of a COLLADA document that would be a job for a conditioner: write a Binormal/Tangent generator once, reuse it on any other COLLADA document.

// Computes the bump basis vector for the U texture channel (called the Tangent),
// and the cross product of the surface normal with the Tangent (called the Binormal).
// These along with the surface normal are used as the basis vectors for normal mapping.
void ComputeTangentAndBinormal(const Point3 tv[3], const Point3 v[3], Point3 bvec[2]);

Nevertheless we’ll include an option to enable/disable the automatic generation of those during the export process. It will be included in the upcoming 0.9.0 release.

Sebastian

Hi

I would like to say thanks for the information about these changes.

im still using last stable version until new version (that can export tangent and binormal) is released.

btw, i would ask you if do you know about the ‘problem’ exporting tangents and binormals in meshes that have mirroring UV coordenades and if you know any way to fix this.

I will try to explain better: If you make an object and map UV for the half of this object, then you can mirror the mesh and make a simetric mesh, but this makes that UV mappinc coordinates will be mirrored too. With this method, there will be points near middle of the mesh that will have diferent normal-tangent-binormal matrix, so normal mapping appears as a discontinuity.

I dont know how to fix this, do you know it ?

Thx for your time and help

LLORENS