Switch from Win98 to WinXP slows game?

Yo out there…

Alright, I’ve just recently had my computer upgraded to Windows XP from Windows 98(try to keep the laughter minimal, please). Unfortunately, some crazy OpenGL god has declared that the new version of windows shouldn’t agree with my programs and slows them down to about one frame per second.

I’ve also run my games on other quite capable(hardware-wise) computers with Windows 2000 or higher with the same results. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Do you have the latest drivers installed for your video card?

Hmmm…I’m not sure…I’ve got the Radeon 9250 card, and I had previously(as in before the WinXP upgrade) installed the proper driver. Should I try re-installing it now?

Yes. Go to www.ati.com and download the latest Window XP driver for Radeon 9250 and install it.

Thanks; I’ll do that.

Well, that didn’t work. The program still runs at the same speed.

The thing is, even when it runs on other computers above Win2000, it runs at the same speed. It’s probably something in my code that doesn’t agree with the higher versions of Windows, right?

what are your GL_RENDERER and GL_VERSION ?
Use Glinfo from here if don’t know how to do it :
http://www.delphi3d.net/hardware/index.php

If it is Microsoft, then you did not update correctly your driver and you are going software (slow) GL. It should contain “ATI” if driver is correctly installed.

Hmmm…okay. Yeah,

Driver version “6.14.10.5819”
Vendor “ATI Technologies Inc.”
Renderer is “RADEON 9200 Series DDR x86/SSE2”
OpenGL version “1.3.1072 WinXP Release”

…if any of that helps. :slight_smile:

Everything seems to be fine, I think…

I still can’t get anything to work. At first I thought it was because I using GLUT, but when I used GLFW as a replacement, there was no improvement.

I’m at a complete loss. I can’t program a single game if they run at this speed…

Is acceleration slider in Performance control panel on the leftmost tick ?

So, you mean: Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance? Where do I go from there?

I posted this earlier:

Driver version “6.14.10.5819”
Vendor “ATI Technologies Inc.”
Renderer is “RADEON 9200 Series DDR x86/SSE2”
OpenGL version “1.3.1072 WinXP Release”

…if any of that helps.

Despite what this stuff says, when I run my program, glGetString tells me that my GL_VENDOR is “Microsoft Corporation” and that my GL_RENDERER is “GDI Generic”. Am I rendering off the software? If so, how can I fix that?

You probably request a pixel format that does not exist in hardware. Avoid GDI stuff etc.
Or there is a (bad) opengl32.dll in the exe directory ?
Can you post how you init OpenGL within your program ?

You request a pixel format that does not exist in hardware. Avoid GDI stuff etc.
More specifically, the drivers changed behind your program’s back, and the pixel format descripter you passed that once (using 98 drivers) gave you an accelerated format now no longer does (using XP drivers).

Or there is a (bad) opengl32.dll in the exe directory ?

Yep! That was it! I was using the same DLL’s left over from Windows 98.

Thanks so much…I thought I’d never get that one figured out.

My OpenAL stuff isn’t working though(no sounds at all)…nah, no big deal. I’ll sort that one out.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.