Superbuffers ETA?

Hey, anyone has any idea, or estimates about when superbuffers will be ready and implemented? I’d have to make some decisions, and it would help me a lot if I knew that superbuffers will be available in the next 6 months or so…

Also, what’s the difference between the so called uber buffers and super buffers?

I just want to be able to render to a vertex buffer. I could do it now, by rendering to a texture, reading it back, and then sending it again as a vertex buffer, but it would probably be very slow… So I’m guessing that this is not a hardware issue, but a specification issue. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong!

BTW: Where are the March 2005 ARB meeting notes?? I can’t seem to find it…

There is no “superbuffers” anymore. It’s functionality has been folded into FBO and its subsequent extensions (to be provided later).

Render to vertex array is something that the ARB will be looking into as an extension to FBO in the future. Don’t expect it any time soon.

Hi, there are some ATI drivers that provides superbuffer (I think that superbuffer corresponds exactly to the uberbuffer, actually are two names for the same thing).
I have used the render-to-vertex-arrays functionality already in april 2004.
However, not all the procedures were available, for example it was impossible to read the depth buffer (I had to do that with the “depth texture” extensions).
But If you just need render-to-vertex-arrays features, then download the “beta test” ATI drivers.

Diego

Originally posted by Korval:
[b]There is no “superbuffers” anymore. It’s functionality has been folded into FBO and its subsequent extensions (to be provided later).

Render to vertex array is something that the ARB will be looking into as an extension to FBO in the future. Don’t expect it any time soon.[/b]
That is correct. The ‘superbuffers’ workgroup decided to first tackle render-to-texture within OpenGL without any window-system involvement. In other words, provide a pBuffer and render_texture replacement. The result of that is the FBO specification (BTW, it was recently updated with minor changes in the registry). You can find it here.

We’re currently working on plugging one hole in the FBO spec, and that is the ability to render to multi-sample framebuffer objects. Once that is complete, we’ll likely start working on render-to-vertex array functionality.

Regards,
Barthold
Superbuffers workgroup chair

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.