Superbible 4th edition Sample Issues

This has been really erking me and I am not quite sure why. But I went and bought the Superbible 4th edition. Basically I have been learning DirectX and would like to see things from a OpenGL Perspective. So I when got the superbible because it is highly recommended. I downloaded the source code and started running some of the precompiled samples just to get a feel for the kind of stuff the book has you do. The issue is all but 2 of the examples run. The fbodrawbuffers and hdrbloom examples simply do not work. I have no idea why they would not work. There are GLErrors and FBO Errors. So I ran the exe files with GLIntercept.

I have a ATI HD 4850 and I just can’t comprehend how these 2 samples would fail to run. The Drivers are all up to date. All the extensions used are supported. Not to mention the card supports GL 3.2. IMHO these samples should work flawlessly.

Keep in mind these errors mean nothing to me atm. All my experience thus far has been in DirectX. Wanted to take a look into OpenGL before I decided what API to dig into.

Here is a small excerpt of some of the errors from the one log file.

GL ERROR - Function glFramebufferTexture2DEXT generated error GL_INVALID_OPERATION
GL ERROR - Function glFramebufferTexture2DEXT generated error GL_INVALID_OPERATION
ImageSaveManager::Save2DImage - invalid width/height on image
InterceptImage::SaveTextureImage - Error saving image 5
InterceptImage::SaveTextureImage - Error saving image 6
InterceptImage::SaveTextureImage - Error saving image 7
InterceptImage::SaveTextureImage - Error saving image 8
InterceptImage::SaveTextureImage - Error saving image 9
GL ERROR - Function glClear generated error GL_INVALID_FRAMEBUFFER_OPERATION_EXT
GL ERROR - Function glEnd generated error GL_INVALID_FRAMEBUFFER_OPERATION_EXT
GL ERROR - Function glEvalMesh2 generated error GL_INVALID_FRAMEBUFFER_OPERATION_EXT
GL ERROR - Function glEvalMesh2 generated error GL_INVALID_FRAMEBUFFER_OPERATION_EXT

The other file shows a few errors that look like this.
GL_FRAMEBUFFER_INCOMPLETE_DIMENSIONS_EXT
GL_FRAMEBUFFER_INCOMPLETE_ATTACHMENT_EXT

Should there be some other set of books I should look into instead of this one?

A good book for learning openGL which has lots of examples is redbook. Just be aware that the print version is at a higher version than the free online version but that does not matter for the most part. It is a little easier to start with than the Blue book (in my opinion).

You can try to compile these Redbook examples before deciding on buying the redbook. Note you will need the glut library. Note I am a linux programmer so this link on seting up glut may not be the best for a windows user but it was from a quick search and geared for windows.

Some recommended background reading that may be useful to read is here.