Start developing OpenGL on Mac Os 8.6

Hi

I found an iBook with MacOS 8.6 on and thought it would be nice to be able to do some c++/OpenGL programming there. The machine has not been used for development before and I assume it doesn’t even have a c++ compiler on. Not very fluent in Mac and into Windows/Linux opengl stuff, I did some google searches but most of the stuff I find are for Mac Os X.

Any ideas on how to get started (or, even suggestions on whether or not I should proceed further with this) welcome.

Cheers

mad

Well, not to discourage but developing on 8/9 requires purchasing a compiler. At which point you’d be better off spending your money on a copy of OS X anyway, which has the developer tools included.

Originally posted by Guest:
Well, not to discourage but developing on 8/9 requires purchasing a compiler. At which point you’d be better off spending your money on a copy of OS X anyway, which has the developer tools included.

Isn’t MPW still avaible somewhere on Apple’s site? It used to sport a decent compiler back in its days.

MPW is still available for free download from Apple I believe. Not the friendliest tool ever; You’d probably do better to install PowerPC Linux on the machine

Thanks for your replies

It sounds like it’s going to be too much wasted time for nothing. I think the machine I’ve got is one of the earliest versions of iBook, probably out around 99.

I should probably leave the poor thing alone and just use it for internet browsing.

I have to admit though, even though technologically it belongs to the previous century, its design feels (at least to me, coming from the PC side of the galaxy) like from the next century. Not to speak of course about present day Mac’s …

mad

If you have the original iBook then it has a Rage Mobility which is practically useless for OpenGL. You might as well be using the software renderer, which is certainly doable for learning purposes, it just won’t be very fast.

You can still install the latest version of OS X on that machine, at least it will make your web browsing nicer.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.