SSAO with GLSL

Hi all!
I wanted to know how it’s possible to do SSAO (SSAO - Wikipedia) with GLSL…
I know it is possible, found that site regarding this point:
http://rgba.scenesp.org/iq/computer/articles/ssao/ssao.htm
Now the point is… I’m just too new to GLSL to convert that programm to use it with my scene… can anyone help?

Okay I think it’ll be okay if I just get the z-map in real time…
Still don’t know how to do this with GLSL :stuck_out_tongue:
Can anyone help me?

I recently did some sort of SSAO-implementation using OpenGL/GLSL.
You must render your depth values to a texture (offscreen render pass) and then use this informaton. You will need framebuffer objects.

PS: I think SSAO is not really beginner level, maybe this should be moved to the advanced section? :wink:

Yes thats what I figured but I didn’t manage to use my depth values, only render them.
When I try to shift them x or y wise on the texture, nothing happens…

€dit: OH! I just noticed the tex coordinates are between 0 and 1… shifting works now :slight_smile:

€dit 2: How can I get more that 8bit z-maps? Like 32bit or such?

How can I get more that 8bit z-maps? Like 32bit or such?
Anyone?

Sorry for bumping but I really need it =/

I recommend looking at the NVIDIA SDKs (http://developer.nvidia.com/page/home.html), the are a really good resource for this! Especially the “Simple Framebuffer Object” from SDK 9 and the “Christmas Tree” from SDK 10 provided a lot of help on this topic! Plus, you can mess around with their code and see what’s happening! :wink:

Already did so with RenderMonkey… the ATIs part of the game… I just can’t get my z-maps higher than 8bit :frowning:

Just to be sure, by z-map, you mean depth buffer?

What hardware, OS are you working on? How do you know that your implementation supports only up to 8bits precision?

Yes I do.
I’m working on Win XP 32bit with an ATI X1650Pro 256MB.
I don’t really think I’m limited to 8bit but I just dont know how to get more out of the z-map :stuck_out_tongue: