Sort of SkyDome(but not really) with OpenGL

Hi.

I want to do the following in OpenGL:

I have jpg image 640x480. I want to draw that image so that it completely covers a 640x480 window. Then I want to draw 3d cube to whatever distance and I still want to have the cube drawn over the image. When the player moves around in 3D space then that image still covers entire window.

(I called it a skydome because I had no other idea what to put for the headline).

How can I do that? Can You point me somewhere? Java, C or C++ example would be great

a good example on sky domes can be found here :
http://www.spheregames.com/index.php?p=templates/pages/tutorials
if u want to put a background in ur 3d scene u can do like this :
glMatrixMode(GL_PROEJCTION)
glPushMatrix();
glLoadIdentity();
glortho(…);
//here u draw ur texture on the screen
DrawQuadTexture();
glPopMatrix();'//go back to perspective projection
glClear(GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);
Draw3DScene();

Thank you for the quick reply. Since I am doing it in Java, I asked a lwjgl forum also and got this kind of solutoion from there. And it works :).

I just tried it out with small example that does yet not cover entire window:

gl.glClear(GL10.GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL10.GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);	
	gl.glLoadIdentity();					//Reset The Current Modelview Matrix			
	//Drawing
	gl.glDepthMask(false);
	gl.glTranslatef(0.0f, 0.0f, -6.0f);	//Move down 1.2 Unit And Into The Screen 6.0		
	square.draw(gl);	
	gl.glDepthMask(true);

gl.glLoadIdentity();
	gl.glTranslatef(0.0f, 0.0f, -7.0f);		//Move up 2.5 Units
	triangle.draw(gl);		

Altough the triangle is behind the square, it still gets drawn over it :slight_smile:

But yeah, I think i will need to use glOrtho if I want to move around in space.

the code u posted work and ur triangle pixels should overwrite the quad pixels.
the orthographic projection in this case is used to set a background image that will be always visible .

I converted Your advice to my Java code:

gl.glLoadIdentity();
	gl.glMatrixMode(GL10.GL_PROJECTION);
	gl.glPushMatrix();
	gl.glLoadIdentity();
	gl.glOrthof(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.2f, 1.0f,-1.0f,1.0f);
	square.draw(gl);
	gl.glPopMatrix();
	gl.glClear(GL10.GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);
	gl.glMatrixMode(GL10.GL_MODELVIEW);			
	gl.glLoadIdentity();	
	world.draw(gl, filter);

I had to put the gl.glMatrixMode(GL10.GL_MODELVIEW); to the end because otherwise my world was messed up. I didn’t know at first what the GL_MODELVIEW and GL_PROJECTION are, but now i think that the projection is a 2D projecton of the 3d scene to the screen, so modelview probably is the real 3D way of displaying stuff. Now I am trying to figure out from some examples how to apply the textures on that square. And I don’t really know what the 6 parameters of glOrtho do either.

Anyways, thank You!

In fact it is not true what u said about MODELVIEW and PROJECTION matrix stacks.
You use MODELVIEW matrix to define how ur 3d models are positioned in 3D space ( rotation translation…) , the PROJECTION matrix define how ur object or model will be projected to the camera screen, u can project them with a perspective view ( as the human eyes do ) using glFrustum or gluPerspective or as an orthographic with glOrtho, this is a parallel projection.
so back to ur code , u first define somewhere ur perspective transformation

glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION)
glLoadIdentity()
//setup a perspective transformation!
glFrustum(…)

than before drawing ur texture u do :
glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION)
//save current perspective transf
glPushMatrix();
glLoadIdentity()
//setup a parallel projection
glOrtho(0,texture->width,0,texture->height,znear,zfar)
//reset view model transformation
glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
glLoadIdentity();
DrawTexture();
//go back to perspective transformation
glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
glPopMatrix();
glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW)
glLoadIdentity()
//translate rotate ur 3d models
//draw 3d

Thank You! My goal is put video from webcam to the background.The webcam sends a jpg image to local http server. Now I want to change the background texture while the program is running, the first texture is currently loaded and binded at initialization.

Only solution that I can think of is putting the texture loading to the main gl loop. So with each frame the texture is downloaded and binded.