Slighty OT - nVidia drivers for GO cards

After seeing the other post from cass that the vertex buffers extension will be available with the next release of detonator drivers, I reminded the fact that the owners of geforce go cards (like me, I got a geforce4 460 GO) have to wait months to see any new extension. Nvidia publishs new drivers for go cards together with the manufacturer of the laptop. So I will probably be able to use extensions like vertex buffers only when Toshiba decides to release new drivers. Currently their driver is one year old!!! It is so unfair!

Has anyone found any way to use detonators with gf4 GO cards? I don’t care about the power save feature the laptop drivers provide - when i code OGL I don’t use the battery anyway.

I didn’t know that, thats very useful information!!
I assumed the “unified” drivers included notebooks as well. The new Dell Inspiron 8500 with the Geforce 4200 Go looked like such a good option.

So this mean I cannot program using extensions such as “vertex buffer object” etc if I buy such a machine today

!?

Regards

[This message has been edited by fritzlang (edited 03-19-2003).]

Hi

I know that someone provided tweaked inf files to allow the regular detonators run on a go. So its possible. I just don’t have the URL by the hand, so ask the mighty google

Bye
ScottManDeath

What do you mean “months” ?

The latest available Dell driver for the GeForce4 Go 440 is dated March 10 2002. That’s over a year. They claim new drivers will be available “soon” though.

[This message has been edited by jwatte (edited 03-19-2003).]

Most likely not what you want to hear:

The most recent Linux drivers seem to work fine for the laptops, at least for my dell 8000 with a gforce 2 go. I can give you the result of glxinfo if you like.

Jamie

Again the link to the modified inf files for the nvidia drivers:
http://www.geocities.com/madtoast/

normally you can just use the default nvidia drivers and force a install of a geforce 4 MX for example. the main problem is, that the installer is not working, because it does not recognize the mobile card as a geforce.

The drivers itself are unified enough to support the notebook chips (atleast on the dells and toshiba notebooks using gf2go to gf4go 460 dont know about the gf4go 4200 or the upcoming gfFX 5200 Go)

Lars

Thanx for the response! I’ll try this trick with the inf file and I will post here the supported extensions before and after.

PS: If I don’t post another message then my laptop stopped working :-).

It worked!

I used the 41.09xp detonator. Is there any newer version?

Anyway, with the glGetstring(GL_EXTENSIONS) I get only one new one which is GL_ARB_vertex_program. I know that this way it doesnot return all the extensions, so if someone has a way that finds out all the extensions please inform me. Also the GL_VERSION changed from 1.3.2 to 1.4.0.

I can’t wait to get the detonators with the vertex buffer object extension…

Originally posted by passalis:
[b]It worked!

I used the 41.09xp detonator. Is there any newer version?

Anyway, with the glGetstring(GL_EXTENSIONS) I get only one new one which is GL_ARB_vertex_program. I know that this way it doesnot return all the extensions, so if someone has a way that finds out all the extensions please inform me. Also the GL_VERSION changed from 1.3.2 to 1.4.0.

I can’t wait to get the detonators with the vertex buffer object extension…[/b]

the newest available (patched)detonator for dell gf-go-notebooks is 43.00

Hi,
As an owner of Toshiba Satellite with GeForce4 Go 440, I have to warn you that I had with these patched drivers some problems - namely after I installed them video overlays stopped to work, and also some directx applications didn’t worked correctly - I dont know why, but after I reverted to the official drivers, the problems disappeared. I guess there are some laptop related tweaks which are not presented…
Still under linux I have the latest drivers and they support all of the extensions.

Regards
Martin

you can usually modify the inf-file yourself. you only need to add the line with the PCI device ID…

Michael