Shadow Maps, multiple lights and textured entities

This is very misleading. The multiple passes thing doesn’t make it Forward Rendering (Deferred uses multiple lighting passes too, and Forward Rendering with multiple lights can be done in a single pass).

Both of these are Forward Shading:

for each object:                 // CPU loop
   for each light:                // GPU loop
     framebuffer += light_model( object, light )

for each light:                 // CPU loop
   for each object:              // CPU loop
     framebuffer += light_model( object, light )

The first is 1 pass for all lights. The second is 1 pass per light. Of course, you can do a hybrid of this too. All of these are Forward Rendering.

What makes it Forward Rendering is that determination of shape, visibility, and material properties as well as lighting/shading computations for a specific light source are all tightly coupled and computed together.

When you split “these” up into multiple passes (e.g. split off lighting/shading), that’s when it’s not Forward Rendering anymore.

Thanks for clearing this Dark Photon, btw I still can’t understand if with the fixed functions commands (no shaders and no HDR) we can achieve a correct multiple-lights-shadows-maps on objects with textures without incurring in RGB values beyond the 0-1 range.

Thanks again.

Alberto

The reason is simple: we want to run on all GPUs legacy and modern. Even with graphics drivers not updated.

Except you don’t. “All GPUs legacy and modern” don’t have shadow mapping of any kind. “All GPUs legacy and modern” don’t have the fixed-function combiner logic you’ll need to make this work. And then there’s the performance from such legacy GPUs.

You can’t run what you’re talking about on all GPUs. So you have to pick some baseline. Are you trying to catch pre-shader Intel hardware?

I still can’t understand if with the fixed functions commands (no shaders and no HDR) we can achieve a correct multiple-lights-shadows-maps on objects with textures without incurring in RGB values beyond the 0-1 range.

Can you? Yes. Will you? Only if you’re:

1: Careful about how you set up your lighting. Blowing past 1.0 is very easy to do in anything approaching a realistically lit scene. People abandoned SDR because HDR made it easier to set up proper lighting in a scene (and because it was more physically realistic, and for many other reasons).

2: Careful about how you set up your texture environment stuff. Fixed function lighting and combiners are very easy to get wrong. They’re difficult to debug and figure out what went wrong. It’s a very fragile system, so you’re going to have to spend a lot of time with the OpenGL specification, walking all of the equations it uses to build lighting and combining.

3: Willing to go it more or less alone. Fixed function is dead. Fewer people each day know how it works; many haven’t used it for half a decade. You can’t even used advanced mobile graphics chips with it anymore; GL ES 2.0 requires shaders. You can’t use any form of JavaScript OpenGL; WebGL mandates shaders.

People may remember the simple stuff, but you are trying to perform a (relatively) advanced technique with fixed function. What you want is certainly possible, but you’re a lot less likely to get useful help with it than if you did it with shaders.

I love your answers Alfonse. Thanks so much.

No, we are not considering Intel at all. By the way there are many issue using shaders and not updated video drivers out there. This is the reason why we are trying to avoid them.

Do you know where (internet/book) we can learn how to implement correctly the ‘multiple-lights-shadows-maps on objects with textures’ using shaders and HDR instead?

Thanks again,

Alberto

Not necessarily. From context you’re talking about the proposed multiple passes to add the contribution for each light to the scene (accounting for its shadowing). If the number of lights isn’t huge, you can do all this in a single pass by doing the lighting/shadowing calcs for all lights in the shader (see next post).

Though at some point though, you bump into limits on the number of uniforms you can have (too many lights/shadow maps), or end up using too much memory for shadow maps, and end up having to break it into multiple passes.

However, in the many lights case, both of these tend to be very wasteful of GPU resources, so you end up thinking about Deferred Rendering techniques.
[/QUOTE]

That’s exactly our case.
We want to manage up to 4 directional lights with shadow mapping.
We managed to make it work with shaders in one pass, but then we added Parallel Split Shadow Map support and exceeded the varying variable limits, so had to split it in 4 passes, doing a light per pass, hence the problem to correctly add texture contributions without saturating them would happen even in this case.

Do you think we should look into Deferred Rendering?

Ah, I see. Well, only you are going to be able to get to the bottom of what the difference is between your implementation of 4-lights-1-lighting-passes and 4-lights-4-lighting-passes. If the math is the same, and sufficient precision is maintained throughout, the results should be the same.

One thought on that:

The one thing that ends up “saving your bacon” with the old, fixed-function pipeline (low dynamic range; no tone mapping) when you have bright lights (one or multiple) is that lighting calcs occur in the auto-constructed “vertex shader”, the texturing occurs in the auto-constructed fragment shader, and (this is the key:) there is an automatic “color clamp” that occurs between them (i.e. clamp(color,0,1) ). This ends up killing off any overexposed lighting before you apply your MODULATE texuring which gives you nice, pretty, not overexposed colors after texturing, because you’re starting with some 0…1 lit color before texturing. This is totally not real, and a major rendering hack, but it works and is “good enough” if you don’t need high dynamic range lighting fidelity.

Is it possibly that in your “Lighting with textures in 1 pass (Light1 and Light2)” you have this color clamp between lighting and texturing enabled, whereas with your “Lighting with textures in 2 passes (Light1 + Light2)” you don’t?

Do you think we should look into Deferred Rendering?

Given your goal to “run on all GPUs legacy and modern”, I’m inclined to think not, but this depends on more than we’ve discussed here.

Old GPUs don’t have as much fill or memory as more recent cards, and you probably don’t want to find yourself trying to do Deferred “with good performance” on an ancient SM2 card which wasn’t even top-of-its-line at the time it was released anyway (with the accompanying reduction in fill and memory).

…then again, I wouldn’t want to be doing 4 light sources with dynamic PSSM shadows on them either. Depending on your bottlenecks and requirements, may or may not turn out to be worth considering. After you get the renderings displaying the same, see if it’s fast enough, and if not, take a close look at your bottlenecks. Determine what you can do about those bottlenecks. This is when you might consider Deferred, depending on what they are.

Dark Photon,

Thanks so much for sharing your opinion. Regarding this:

Given your goal to “run on all GPUs legacy and modern”, I’m inclined to think not, but this depends on more than we’ve discussed here.

Using shaders based PSSM was my first thought but on our customer base we discovered that many times the product crashed becasue of drivers not updated, lack of the necessary uniforms variables, etc.

We quickly switched to the more safe - and under control - fixed function approach.

Do you think that this can be avoided? Is there a way to step into shaders without being afraid of unexpected crashes on the customer side? Even without having a define GPU base line?

Thanks,

Alberto

The point we’re trying to make is that you already have a “GPU base line”: the hardware that can do PSSM. Hardware that can’t do that cannot use your program.

So you already have a baseline, whether you want one or not. I would suggest recognizing that and deciding where you really want to draw that baseline. Do you like that baseline, or are you willing to move it forward?

In general, there are two main groups of hardware that you will run afoul of when working with shaders: Intel and unsupported hardware.

Intel hardware barely works, even if you just focus on fixed-function. They spend almost no effort on OpenGL drivers. If you’re trying to make something work in OpenGL on their hardware, you need to test on it constantly. And since there are many types of Intel hardware out there, you need to test on it in several different cases.

Unsupported hardware is a related problem. The hardware currently being supported by vendors are all GeForce 6xxx-series and above (including the 3-digit GeForces), and all ATI/AMD HD-series cards (HD-2xxx and above). The biggest gap this leaves is the pre-HD series: 9xxx, Xxxx, and 1Xxxx lines. These are all DX9 cards, and there are still a fair number of them out there. The last drivers for these are somewhere between OK and terrible. So again, lots of testing.

In general, if your application is a game, you can just tell users “update your drivers,” and you can expect them to not be using Intel for rendering. If it’s more of an application, then you’re more likely to have to deal with what they give you, though you can still ask them to update. Either way, you need to test your application on a wide variety of hardware.

Personally, I would say that you need to serve the needs of two groups, and trying to do both at the same time will only make one of them highly annoyed with you. You need a renderer that works on modern hardware (ie: stuff that’s actually supported). All the shadow mapping in the world isn’t going to make up for the lack of HDR, gamma correction, and other things that users expect from a program meant for modern GPUs.

You need a “baseline” renderer that works on your minimum-spec systems. Your baseline renderer can use fixed function, but it shouldn’t be trying to do shadow mapping and the like. The idea here is to be minimally functional and look just decent enough to be OK. Basically, Quake-style rendering should be all you aim for at that level. OpenGL 1.1, maybe up to 1.4 and combiners. But that’s it. No shadow mapping, plain vertex lighting, that’s all.

Thanks a lot Alfonse, I understand your point. Maybe we can live with a cosmetic shadow maps on legacy GPUs and do a shader based advanced one on modern GPUs.

Do you know if there is any version number we can rely on to split the GPU world or - as I am already convinced by - we cannot tell until we test it?

Thanks again,

Alberto

I use gl3wIsSupported(3,3) for a similar problem. I am sure other extension loading libraries have similar functions.

Do you know if there is any version number we can rely on to split the GPU world or - as I am already convinced by - we cannot tell until we test it?

What do you mean by that?

I would split it along the lines of what which is supported. Right now, AMD supports all of their HD-class graphics cards. NVIDIA supports GeForce 6xxx and above. Using 2.1 would mean opening yourself up to AMD’s pre-3.x hardware, which is no longer being supported (and hasn’t been for a year or two).

So your legacy should be whatever minimally capable thing you want to support (say, 1.4), and your modern would be 3.3 or better. That leaves GeForce 6xxx+ users in an unfortunate situation, but at the same time, you’ll be able to be a lot more confident that your shaders will actually work.

Thanks Alfonse,

Therefore you say that checking OpenGL version as 3.3 or higher gives you the confidence that shaders will work for sure? It would be a good starting point…

Hi,

we found out that on a customer with ATI HD 5800 and OpenGL 4.2 the shaders don’t work as expected.

I think it could depend on some deprecated / removed functions that we use in our shaders.

So we thought of creating a context targeting OpenGL 3.3, but we discovered that many fixed-functionality stuff is no more there.

Should we use the CONTEXT_COMPATIBILITY_PROFILE_BIT_ARB with 3.3 to make it work until we fully upgrade our code to 3.3?

OpenGL 2.0 or higher guarantees that vertex and fragment shaders are available, OpenGL >= 3.2 guarantees that geometry shaders exist and OpenGL >= 4.0 guarantees that tesselation shaders exist.

The core profile has many legacy APIs and some older GLSL versions removed, but the compatibility profile contains all functions back to OpenGL 1.1 (though an implementation is not required to support the compatibility profile, e.g. Apple supports only the core).

Since we’re not using geometry shaders, I wonder if restricting to OpenGL 3.3 as suggested by Alfonse isn’t a bit too much.

Maybe we could stick with a 3.0 profile, especially if the compatibility profile is not guaranteed to exist.

Since we’re not using geometry shaders, I wonder if restricting to OpenGL 3.3 as suggested by Alfonse isn’t a bit too much.

You say that as though the only feature that 3.x offers is geometry shaders. There are also:

1: Integer textures and integer vertex attributes.
2: Transform feedback.
3: Uniform Buffer Objects.
4: Red/Green textures and RGTC.
5: Instanced rendering
6: Seamless cubemap filtering.
7: Multiple color output for blending.

Maybe we could stick with a 3.0 profile, especially if the compatibility profile is not guaranteed to exist.

There’s little real point to that. Any hardware that can run 3.0 can run 3.3. The only recent hardware you’ll run into that’s locked to lower than 3.3 is Intel stuff, but reliance on them is dubious at best anyway. Apple stopped at 3.2 core, but that’s about it.

Also, the only platform lacking the compatibility profile is MacOSX.

Hi,

we’re not using anything of those new features for now.

Also, a customer with ATI Radeon HD 5800 is still having problems with shaders after we provided a dll which used OpenGL 3.0 context (wrong illumination and strange shadows effects).

So I guess we’ll have to disable shaders again by default, until we get one of those “problematic” cards and analyze what’s happening with them. :frowning: