SGI may go bankrupt

SGI may declare bankruptcy… :frowning:

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2006/02/08/sgi_warns/

SGI currently holds the copyright on OpenGL. This could bode poorly for the future of OpenGL, depending on who ends up with the IP. I could see a certain large software company being interested in acquiring it just to shut it down.
:rolleyes:

-Raystonn

Yup, already know about it.

I could see a certain large software company being interested in acquiring it just to shut it down.
I hope it gets split between all other ARB members.
In retrospect, SGI should have been a GPU vendor for the masses. If they were the first to offer this, they could have been the “nvidia” of today.

I kinda wish Sun would acquired SGI for the Java2|3D/JOGL and coin a new slogan “Java Anywhere, Graphic Everywhere.” If SGI is interested keeping GL alive, or maybe sgi will sell out to big money$. Or passit on to 3DLabs/Creative.

what does it mean for opengl if sgi goes tits-up? :rolleyes:

p.s. how is this a suggestion for the next release of opengl :confused:

p.p.s maybe this should go in the “items of importance” forum :smiley:

:stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by V-man:

In retrospect, SGI should have been a GPU vendor for the masses. If they were the first to offer this, they could have been the “nvidia” of today.

I thought that long before it was “in retrospect”. Unfortunately, so did Microsoft who steered them down the road they have gone by some slick back-stabbing deals over OpenGL, as well as the whole deal where they were selling Intel/MS-Windows computers.

And, unfortunately, SGI has already sold some undisclosed quantity of OpenGL related IP to Microsoft.

wasn’t nvidia born out of disgruntled SGI engineers?

wasn’t nvidia born out of disgruntled SGI engineers?
That’s what I heard.

Plus, ATi purchased ArtX (and incorporated their tech into their GPUs. And even made an ArtX guy their COO or something like that), and ArtX was formed from SGI engineers. So, it’s not unreasonable to see that while SGI the company may die, the ideas born of that place and the people nurtured by it are still with us. And fighting amongst each other, at the moment.

3d labs is out too …

3DLabs is cutting their workstation cards but they will be making GPUs for embedded devices (cell phones, etc). I guess it’s just NV vs ATI now, with Intel trying to make a comeback.

I wonder what all this means to the future of OpenGL? … will it slowly die? especially, most games now are DX.
that would be too bad since OGL is a much better API than DX.

As long as there’s no replacement for Linux and Apple, OpenGL will not die.

Perhaps more and more games will move to DX, but despite what many people believe, there are applications for 3D graphics that have nothing to do with games :wink:

Well, 3dlabs has probably moved out of the workstation market because NVidia has recently muscled in on the last remaining 3dlabs-only area of workstations - the genlocking/syncing area. Now there’s no good reason to buy a realizm/wildcat, when quadro’s are cheaper and more reliable, and can now do genlocked stereo properly.